Mechanism for a rising/lowering platform

kurto1

Joined Jun 12, 2020
I am undertaking a small hobby project where I need to make a small lift consisting of a platform which can rise and fall over a distance of approx 50cm.

My initial idea was to get a motorized telescopic car aerial and use that as the mechanism, but anything I can find is either super-expensive or the the fully retracted unit is too big (it cant be more than around 15cm in length to sit in beneath where the fully lowered platform level would be).

If anyone has some ideas about where to source a ready-made mechanism that I could incorporate into my project, or how to use a motor to rig up my own mechanism, it would be much appreciated. My attempts to search for a motorized telescopic system have come up short.

The platform does not need to hold any significant weight (<0.5kg)

Many thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Could you design a small compact scissor lift?
They are fairly compact when down, e.g. linemans bucket
They are fairly easy to make, there may even be something out there that uses a small mechanism like this.
For a small distance you may get away with one axis point, if the closed area is not too large.
Max.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
There are many possible solutions to this but will depend on what tools/facilities you have at your disposal. A scissor jack as Max suggested is a good simple solution and for the weight could eaily be 3D printed or constructed from normal modelling materials.

A screw lift is also simple to build, or even a simple hydraulic or pneumatic solution.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Indeed true. But 15cm -> 50cm is still quite a lift, most auto scissor jacks and hydraulic jacks have a lift of 10cm -> 36cm. That's not to say one couldn't be designed.

A simple 3- or 4-stage cherry picker might work...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When heigth is a problem, have a look at a double sissors lifter.
Here is an example of a commercial one, for the idea:

double sissors lifter.jpg

Bertus

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
If I'm not mistaken your asking to move a platform roughly 19 11/16". When I worked at a seat making plant they used a air cylinder to rise and lower platforms. The guides were no more than a square box made out of thin walled tubing with a tiny bit for space for tolerance. The cylinder had a nut welded on the bottom in the middle of the square plate. They then welded small tabs in the corners w/ a bolt and nut to level the plate and hold it's position at a certain distance. Don't know if your asking for PLC tolerances or not.
Brzrkr

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Use an air bag inside concentric/telescoping tubes. A small aquarium pump will provide enough lift. 6 to 7 x 10 cm sections should work. Attach limiting strap (canvas tape) on the inside or outside or use dimples so that no section separates.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
The lab lift shown above was my first thought, but they don't lift high enough (typically <40cm). Their main advantage is small footprint and low effort compared to a car jack.

I like jpanhalt's idea, easy to implement if you can find suitable telescoping sections (or 3D print them).

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My home has cathedral ceilings (log home). It is 26' from the floor to reach the ceiling fans or skylights. A ladder is impossible because the ceiling slope is 12:12 (45°). I found an "UpLift" man lift that will go to 36' very cheap on eBay years ago. It was used to replace ceiling lights in gyms at a local high school, but was not fully OSHA. The lift has three sets of telescoping tubes. When on it, it is quite stable. The gas is some non-oxygen gas. I use CO2.

I can move the man lift, which is all aluminum, and erect it by myself. I doubt a scissor lift of the same capability would be so light.

kurto1

Joined Jun 12, 2020
Thank you for these responses. I had considered the scissor lift - it could be the best solution (but aesthetically not as desirable)

I can probably be a bit more flexible on design also.