measuring wi-fi

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
There are (free) apps which run on your iPhone which provide a detailed analysis of WiFi strength. I use WiFi SweetSpots on my iPhone. I actually used it professionally as an IT consultant at my client sites.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks guys, I installed it seems to do the job.I am about to start using a back bedroom as a workshop. I was curious if I would have problems with Wi-Fi back there it is the furthest spot away from the router in this house .

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I may not have a bit of problem with it, just anticipating the possibility. I will be getting that 3D printer soon. I suspect it will be leaning on the Wi-Fi hard too. Slowly but surely have had several projects coming online.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
All the apps in phones give only a Relative "strength". One can know that one area is better than the other. Using 2 phones in 2 places for locating a "better" spot may not give correct results.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
1) GQ-EMF-390 (cost about 150 $) - absolute graduation within accuracy of plus minus 5%
2) VNA-Nano (depending on modification between 20$ and 100$) - only relative figures except if one makes a calibration of antenna.
3) RF-Hack-001 (about 150 $) - only relative figures except if one makes a calibration of antenna.
4) RTL-SDR USB stick (10 to 30 $ depending on model) - only relative figures except if one makes a calibration of antenna.
5) Smartphone with installed specialized soft from PlayGoogle. Such softs are at least half dozen free of charge. However the figures are not "relative" as they are graduated at dBm or other units, but accuracy is not the strong side of this method, I would guess about plus mins 20%