MC2100ELS-50W Controller Repair

dan77

Joined Aug 2, 2017
Hi All, I have a Nordic Track T25 treadmill, my gf said she heard a popping noise yesterday when she was using it, then it just stopped. I don’t mind purchasing a new controller but I would much prefer trace the faulty components and learn how they work and why they failed and if course if it was ever to happen again I would know what to look for, any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you switch the treadmill on the red led on th controller comes on for about 5 seconds then goes off, the display does not illuminate when the power is switched on, I believe the display needs 9-12 volts, I’ve tested the red and black going to the display and there’s nothing.

Ive inspected the board closely and I have noticed there is a blown component but because of the damage I can only see a partial part number, it’s STR G6??? When I find out what the correct replacement is would I just need to replace that part or do I need to carry out tests in I case there are other faulty components that caused it to blow?

5053ADF8-40D5-4FE0-84C8-482D23C7F337.jpeg F4E1B9AC-D0C5-42D6-B9C5-8CC3EC3E8DC5.jpeg

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
You need to do some detective work to make sure some
other component, like a capacitor or diode, was not cause
of failure. Or just replace the obvious part and keep your
fingers crossed, but that would be a poor safety/fire choice.

Regards, Dana.

Kenho

Joined Nov 5, 2018
Strg6352 /6653 , switchmode chips. Datasheet

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAKegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw17Fswezo93A4bHIJojiGaK

Yes you will have to test and replace other components, probably the bridge rectifier, and pulse transformer.

Here is an example circuit using this type of chip, yours maybe similar...

View attachment 156529
Hi am Ken,
Am having T25 also, my problem is everything working fine but only speed motor no function and the controller led no lights, i had tested the motor unit confirmed the motor no having problem, i tried replaced 2pcs of relay but still the speed motor not working, could you advice any component involved?

Dannyx94

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Good day everyone. I just came across this discussion and hopefully someone is still watching it. I have the same board as dan77 with the same issue, except mine is in much worse shape: many blown components and traces. Someone before me tried repairing it and replaced most of the parts, but it's still missing two: Q11 and D20L close to the IC you replaced (the STR G6653 which was also blown on mine). They are both SOT-23. dan77's up-close picture could be really helpful here, except I can't make out any markings on those two components, so I would like to ask if anybody can provide some help on identifying these parts because I have no idea what they are. The schematics in the link above do not seem to match this board unfortunately, as there's no mention of the G6653 anywhere.

Here are some pics of my particular board. It's had a tough life as you can see. Many thanks.

Attachments

Hello, I have the same problem with STR G6653, but the parts from D20L, Q11, R74 and D9 also broke down. Can anyone help me with their identification, because the notations on the diagram presented above do not correspond to the notations on the plate.

Attachments

Dannyx94

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Hello, I have the same problem with STR G6653, but the parts from D20L, Q11, R74 and D9 also broke down. Can anyone help me with their identification, because the notations on the diagram presented above do not correspond to the notations on the plate.
Have a look through this thread I wrote after I managed to fix the first one shortly after writing this. Hopefully you can use the pictures and the other info there to get closer to a solution. Best of luck.