MC2100 treadmill motor for use on lathe

Scott216

Joined Jun 16, 2011
I have a MC2100LTS-30 and motor that I want to use on my woodworking lathe. I've got an Arduino PWM controlling the speed. I have a pot on my arduino that's used to control the duty cycle. The MC2100 requires me to start the duty cycle from zero, then it takes a few seconds to start spinning. Seems to be a build in soft-start. Is there a way to disable or override this? I'd like the motor to start right away. I can build my own soft-start in the Arduino with a faster ramp up speed.

Moderator edit: New thread created from this.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The unit I made for the MC2100's Has a Stop & Start PB, the pot can be left in any position and the motor will ramp up with the Start PB.
I am not sure if I have a LTS-30 version to test on, but it works on all the version I have tried so far.
How are you effecting your start/stop?

Scott216

Joined Jun 16, 2011
I just have the MC2100 and Arduino setup on my desk, I haven't set it up on the lathe yet. I'm in the "get it working" phase.
Right now, I don't have a separate start/stop switch. I just have a pot going to Arduino analog pin, then PWM out to MC2100. If I have both the MC2100 and Arduino powered down and the pot set to a non-zero duty cycle, then power up both up, the motor doesn't start turning, even after waiting a while. If I turn the pot to zero, then back up, the motor will start turning. Although there is a couple second delay before it starts turning. I'd like to get rid of this delay - it will be annoying on my lathe. I don't mind a soft-start, but I want that soft-start to begin right away.

How is your Start PB wired?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When the stop button is pushed the motor coasts down by stopping the PWM output, restart by pushing the Start PB. PWM resumes at the previous rate.
No PWM ramp up or down.