Maximum permissible temperature of a Ferrite core transformer

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1KW ferrite core transformer that transforms 250V AC to 3-5kV in between ( 30-90 kHz).
I made a long duration test for 8 hours with maximum load.

The temperature results are as follows:
Windings : 95°C
Ferrite Core : 100°C @ 30kHz
115°C @90kHz

Room temperature is around 40°C .( testing in a hot environment).

NOTE:The transformer doesn't have any fans / ventilators for cooling. But the complete transformer is potted in a housing with a epoxy material to enhance the electrical isolation. The potting material has a decent thermal conductivity.
The potting material,litz wire in the transformer and the ferrite core can withstand up to 175°C.

Is this too hot for a 1kW transformer?

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
115 C is well under the max temp of 175 C you have given.
You are safe.

Thank you for the reply first of all..

I know that I am well under 175°C , but the question is, Is it normal for the transformer to get so hot ?
Does this high temperature influence the long time durability of the transformer ? ( Due to constant thermal expansion and contraction )?

I just wanna know from the members who have worked with these kinda transformers. Please share your experience .

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The inner temperature on the windings might be a bit more, so I would start questioning what the isolation on those can withstand.

SVS

Joined Aug 16, 2012
The inner temperature on the windings might be a bit more, so I would start questioning what the isolation on those can withstand.
The windings are actually vacuum impregnated with a material which can withstand upto 180°C.
Assuming that every winding has this material coating !!

Thank you!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Imagine three tightly wound windings, one on top of the other two, the three points in the crossection where these are touching will most probably stay untouched by the impregnation and there will still be only a little bit of isolation material between them. This makes me feel that the maximum temperature for the original enamel coated wire should be taken into account too.