Maximum demand indicator

conehed

Joined Jan 9, 2008
good evening again-

could you give guidance and advice on the following qusestion please.

"Maximum demand indicators utilise an auxiliary pointer driven by a main pointer. Explain the use of this auxiliary pointer, the problems it may cause and how these problems can be overcome."

Thankyou:)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Gee I dunno. Are we talking about the auxiliary pointer creating enough drag on the main pointer to prevent it from producing an accuarate reading? I've never used one and can't imagine why I would -- It sounds very 1950's
Most digital meters have a maximum hold function built in.

I can see you are a man of your word. Always a good thing.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That must be like a magazine thermometer that has an indicator that will show the highest temperature reached during the recording session. Can't really see why it would cause a problem, unless it responded to a glitch and indicated a one-time event as significant. I would think that anything critical would have a recording device that would make a permanent record, and not just a maximum reading.

conehed

Joined Jan 9, 2008
This question does not make any sense really! we is all confused.com- however, i wonder if the following would make sense as an answer???? Your veiws please.

1. Maximum Demand Indicators. A composite part of a maximum demand indicator is an auxiliary needle which is driven by the average demand needle and locked in place with a frictional device. The function of the secondary needle (usually red) is to mark the maximum power demand/usage since the needle was last reset. The following problems are inherent to this type of device:

a. Misleading Readings. The maximum demand indicator marks the maximum value recorded on the meter, even if this is an abnormal level due to an unexpected surge in demand. This can be avoided if the maximum demand is regularly recorded and the needle reset, as abnormal readings would be highlighted.

b. Tampering. As this device is reset manually, it can be tampered with giving misleading results. The device should have some kind of security or locking device attached to it.

Thankyou