MAX232 not working

T.A

Joined Dec 22, 2016
Hello guys. i am new here.
has any one worked with max 232 I.C ? i am doing a project on serial communication, the microcontroller circuit is working well, but having issues with the max232 I.C.

T.A

Joined Dec 22, 2016
Thanks Sensacell.
My objective is to control external load from my P.C using the hyperterminal interface.
i have observed all the necessary rules in its connection, but still not working.
tying to upload the schematics here, but dont know how.

T.A

Joined Dec 22, 2016
upload_2016-12-23_5-1-31.png

This is my schematics. the only modification is that is used 10uf cap instead of the 1uf cap in the schematics.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

First thought:
Change your caps. I use 0.1uF.

Second thought:
Upload your schematic and a picture of circuit. Include the code as well. Also a description of what you want to happen, and what is actually happening.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
View attachment 117397

This is my schematics. the only modification is that is used 10uf cap instead of the 1uf cap in the schematics.

Your schematic is so tiny. Can you post a larger one for us old folks?

Are you certain it is the MAX232 that is the issue? What have you done to diagnose the issue? Are you certain data is getting to the chip?

I use 1ufd tantalum cap all around. I think 10ufd is going to be too large. And you should have a .1 ufd as a bypass cap on your VCC.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi.

First thought:
Change your caps. I use 0.1uF.

Second thought:
Upload your schematic and a picture of circuit. Include the code as well. Also a description of what you want to happen, and what is actually happening.
Nerd is right. Your caps may be too large, that happened to me once. Are you really using the original MAX232 chip?
Other brands, such as the SP232A, require the use of much smaller capacitors, like the 0.1uF that has been sugessted. Although I've seen cases for 1uF too.

Check your chip's original datasheet.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Nerd is right. Your caps may be too large, that happened to me once. Are you really using the original MAX232 chip?
Other brands, such as the SP232A, require the use of much smaller capacitors, like the 0.1uF that has been sugessted. Although I've seen cases for 1uF too.

Check your chip's original datasheet.
Why do you think the caps are too large? It seems to me that over-large caps just reduce the ripple and output impedance.

The spec sheet gives _minimum_ capacitance values since this is normally what designers are interested in. A large capacitor value will slow the turn on time of the MAX232 but an extra several hundred micro seconds won't be a problem unless data is transmitted very soon after power up.

In other words, I don't think the 10 uF is too large no matter which variation of MAX232 is used.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
To work out if the MAX is working just short the RX and TX pins and connect to a computer. Make sure local echo is turned off in your terminal software and try typing. Do the characters come back?
This process will take your microcontroller out of the picture.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Why do you think the caps are too large?
I have no idea, I don't know the innards of those chips, and don't know how exactly they raise their outputs to the standard RS232 level.

All I know is that I once had a headache when I tried to use the SP232A for the first time, and I couldn't make it work until I read the datasheet and changed the caps to the recommended values.

T.A

Joined Dec 22, 2016
Thanks guys for your comment.
i will get 0.1uf cap at the electronics store. should it be a tantalum or electrolytic cap ?
i have attached the source code and the enlarged image of the schematics.
is there anything wrong with the source code or schematics?

upload_2016-12-24_10-50-38.png

Attachments

T.A

Joined Dec 22, 2016
i used MAX232 which according to the datasheets needs 1uf electrolytic cap. i have tried it with 1uf, but still not working the way it should work

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks guys for your comment.
i will get 0.1uf cap at the electronics store. should it be a tantalum or electrolytic cap ?
i have attached the source code and the enlarged image of the schematics.

View attachment 117458
Tantalum. Don't know if you will get electrolytics that small.

Do you have a scope? If so, can you see data coming into the MAX?

And you have an electronics store nearby???

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

View attachment 117458
Just as a real quick look. I would not use interrupts till you get things started. I would just poll the register. You are just adding to your misery right now. Get the thing working then you can add interrupts.

Have you looked at the peripheral library? Or better yet the Micro Chip Code Configurator (MCC)? Sure makes the job a whole lot easier.