Mars,Agree ,Disagree

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
How though? What remotely feasible technology is capable of generating gravity? Or a planetary sized magnetic field? Even if you live in bubble cities, you will still be under a gravity of 0.4 Earths. That is not pleasant.
Assuming sufficient atmospheric pressure was attained -- via, for instance, forced volatilization of 'solidified gases' at the poles (please pardon the oxymoron) and, further, that said atmosphere occasioned sufficient 'greenhouse effect' to sustain said voltilzation -- at what rate might said atmosphere be expected to decay following exhaustion of all volatile matter (serious question)?

Also, there is the whole UN thing about stuff in space not belonging to any nation
As history demonstrates: 'that which belongs to no-one/everyone belongs to anyone' -- Moreover, I suspect all the high-sounding, 'uber-conscientious speak' will be so much air at such time as credible means and earnest pursuit of such aims are seen to exist --- The real issue will owe to territorial disputes à la the 15'th century 'New World' and present day Antarctica...

Re: ethical issues...
I dont really care about those.
On that point, we're 100% agreed!:)

Either way I will be happy to see someone visit another planet in my life.
Ditto!!!:) -- 'Tho I'm bound to advise -keep knocking back the vitamins! -- at the snail pace space exploration has ground to, you'll need all the help you can get!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
'Tho I'm bound to advise -keep knocking back the vitamins!
HP
Be careful with assumptions. Some imported vitamins have so much residual solvents that the dose may be doing more harm than good. I avoid anything that comes from a pharmacy or that section of the grocery store. I also try to eat things from the perimeter of the grocery store - the center aisles and Frozen sections have long ingredient lists.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
On the topic of terraforming, I don't have the required level of knowledge to differentiate between science and science fiction. To my knowledge it's never been done, even in small scale test, so I regard it as fiction with a tiny dash of plausibility. Everything I "know" about it comes from movies.

That being said, every time I watch/read/hear that recycled plot line "X years in the future, after humans have completely trashed their planet, they set out in search of new planets to terraform and relocate to..." , i must wonder, if we can terraform a planet as inhospitable as venus or mars; if we can radically alter an entire planet's atmosphere to turn it from a pressure cooker full of acid fog, into an earth-like nirvana of clean air and green fields, why couldn't we just do that to our own planet? Why couldn't we just press the reset button on Earth?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
On the topic of terraforming, I don't have the required level of knowledge to differentiate between science and science fiction. To my knowledge it's never been done, even in small scale test, so I regard it as fiction with a tiny dash of plausibility. Everything I "know" about it comes from movies.

That being said, every time I watch/read/hear that recycled plot line "X years in the future, after humans have completely trashed their planet, they set out in search of new planets to terraform and relocate to..." , i must wonder, if we can terraform a planet as inhospitable as venus or mars; if we can radically alter an entire planet's atmosphere to turn it from a pressure cooker full of acid fog, into an earth-like nirvana of clean air and green fields, why couldn't we just do that to our own planet? Why couldn't we just press the reset button on Earth?
Apparently, in the eyes of 'anthro-cynics', only humans can F#$% things up beyond reach of human intervention:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP:D

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Trashing your planet.....sparky,they giving up on recycled objects other than metals.

The same lobbies that started governments to recycle is now reverted back to dumps

for all but metals. Cover trash with a liner build a park. Press to Mars.....Man on Mars.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
i must wonder, if we can terraform a planet as inhospitable as venus or mars; if we can radically alter an entire planet's atmosphere to turn it from a pressure cooker full of acid fog, into an earth-like nirvana of clean air and green fields, why couldn't we just do that to our own planet? Why couldn't we just press the reset button on Earth?
I think the difference has to do with the time frame. Terraformers on Mars would have a literal "dead"line pushing them to succeed, but the lives of current earthlings is not dependent upon cleaning up the mess we made.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Trashing your planet.....sparky,they giving up on recycled objects other than metals.

The same lobbies that started governments to recycle is now reverted back to dumps

for all but metals. Cover trash with a liner build a park. Press to Mars.....Man on Mars.
Yes, loosewire, because recycling, just like "green energy" makes everyone just a little bit poorer.

Just ask the Germans.