Male Handedness

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
On your right hand, is the index finger (2nd finger) longer or shorter than the ring finger (4th finger)?

Here's an internet test: http://www.quizane.com/male-or-female-brain_2.result

Spoiler alert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

This is all for fun. No serious science intended. However, I thought the observation was curious. One of my favorite professors (ca. 50 years ago) was a forensic anthropologist, like the "Bones" heroine, and I continue to find such relationships interesting.

John

BTW: I happen to be left-handed, and my right hand follows the presumed pattern, but my left doesn't.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Took me a few hours. Senior moments.:p
It's the third finger that is supposed to be shorter than the first finger on a female.
It doesn't count if you do it like fantasi.:rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yea your humor does normally tend to run on the dry side.:p

Or has your computer been hijacked? :eek:

No on the snuggles BTW. :oops:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, this whole thread is about the idea that women have a different shape to their fingers. I actually heard about it maybe 40 or 50 years ago. Some surgeon talking about repairing a woman's hand.

So you say your hands don't show any particular maleness or femaleness and I can't think of a more boldly male person on this site to mess with. :D

No friendliness intended. Just couldn't pass up the chance for a big LOL.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Mine are equal on both hands.

Now what?o_O
It's all genetics but not sure about actual science; and it is amusing. lol

My Grandfather was only 5'4" but his arms were long and his hands were huge and blocky. Almost all his fingers ring, index and middle seemed the same with a shorter little finger.

Always thought they looked cartoonish. Strong as an Ox. Once throwing angry guy over a 4 railed corral; by the seat of his pants and the back of his shirt. He landed face down.

kv

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So you say your hands don't show any particular maleness or femaleness and I can't think of a more boldly male person on this site to mess with. :D

No friendliness intended. Just couldn't pass up the chance for a big LOL.
Just for that I will snuggle you soo hard....... :eek:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It's all genetics but not sure about actual science; and it is amusing. lol
Yea some of the things my wife comes up with to justify whatever her belief system is focused on for the day amuse me too. Most of the time bewilder but still some amusement is under the bewilderment. :p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's all genetics but not sure about actual science;
The fact that I heard a surgeon speak about the, "sweep" of a woman's fingers, 40 or 50 years ago, seems to indicate that there is a factual basis.
Unfortunately, I don't think there are any medical doctors in membership here. :(

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Maybe not, but the links in #1 show there is a gender difference in finger lengths. It's similar to the height difference between the sexes though; a small difference in the means with a wide bell curve on ether side, causing a lot of overlap between the two populations.

I didn't see anything relating finger length to other gender differences. If you want to say tall women are more like men, or that short men are feminine, go for it. I think you'll be in for a whoopin'.