Making brooch with timer/buzzer

Sabele

Joined Sep 22, 2017
Hello, I am creating a jewelry brooch that has some modifications. Currently I am trying to add a timer that makes a chime or sound for every hour continuously. From what I can tell, I need an arduino board with a piezo buzzer, with a 555 time generator, with a power supply inside of the piece itself (not plugging into anything separate or into a wall). I am very new to circuits in general, and am wondering if anyone has recommendation/knows of similar projects I can use to base off of. Thanks for the help!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello, I am creating a jewelry brooch that has some modifications. Currently I am trying to add a timer that makes a chime or sound for every hour continuously. From what I can tell, I need an arduino board with a piezo buzzer, with a 555 time generator, with a power supply inside of the piece itself (not plugging into anything separate or into a wall). I am very new to circuits in general, and am wondering if anyone has recommendation/knows of similar projects I can use to base off of. Thanks for the help!
I'd hack an old digital watch to go off every hour (some had this capability built-in) and build the brooch around it.

Since this is homework, I suppose you must come up with a way to simulate the function of those digital watches?

I don't have Arduino experience but I imagine you wouldn't need the 555 once you have the Arduino.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How big is this brooch going to be?
What are you going to use to power the brooch?

An Arduino is going to be way too big and power hungry.

My approach would be to start with the smallest low power microcontroller that you can find. I would be looking at some 8-pin SMD controllers from Atmel, Microchip, or Texas Instruments. You wouldn't need a 555-timer chip.

Sabele

Joined Sep 22, 2017
Mostly I just need it to chime every hour or make some kind of tonal noise, don't really even need the clock face. The brooch is 3" diameter copper circle (there is stuff on the front). I'll start researching those micro controllers, thank you!

Sabele

Joined Sep 22, 2017
So I'm thinking about using a raspberry pi now, and using the cron tab to run
60 * * * * command
So that a sound is run every 60 seconds.

I've never used a raspberry pi and have some rather basic knowledge gleaned from forums and internet searches. I see you use USB to edit the code, but can a pi run on its own?