Making 12V DC out of 24V AC

futyseq

Joined Oct 22, 2021
Hey,
is it possible to convert 24V AC to 12V DC just with 4 diodes and a voltage divider? Should I use capacitors to filtr it? Btw it is for an LED lamp.

futyseq

Joined Oct 22, 2021
hi futy',
Welcome to AAC.
What current is required by the LED ?

E
I'm not sure but power is no more than 10W, I'd say it is something about 8W so not even 0.9A. Resistors I would use are rated for 10W and diodes for 1A (I also have 10A chunky ones).
Oh and I have a cheap oscilloscope from china, so I can check if the voltage is smooth enough, but I'm not sure what is smooth enough hehe

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
24VAC rectified and filtered gives you About 32.5VDC. To run 10W worth of LEDs at 12V that would consume 27W from the power supply, wasting 17W in the resistor. Use a 25 W resistor.

Alternately, use a proper LED constant current driver and waste about 1W and run cool.

Bob

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Unless you are using the LED to illuminate a view for a video camera you won't need a lot of filtering. 10% ripple should be no problem. I think I would look for a pre-made buck converter to power this, or lacking that a switching type LED power supply.

old_beggar

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Could you put two 12v LED modules in series? Then you would need a 10ohm 7W (use 11W or higher because it will still get VERY hot) resistor.