Make your plans for August 2017. Total solar eclipse

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Maybe when the time comes I could plan a road trip down there. That would be cool. I'll add it to my bucket list right under seeing Mount Rushmore.

Well I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won
Then you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun
Kentucky? I can manage that. :)

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Maybe when the time comes I could plan a road trip down there. That would be cool. I'll add it to my bucket list right under seeing Mount Rushmore.

Kentucky? I can manage that. :)

Ron
Check the map from nasa. You will already get 85% coverage within 200 miles of the midline. Not bad.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
200 miles for the last 15% seems totally worth the trip. This kind of opportunity doesn't come along very often, just hope for good weather.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
200 miles for the last 15% seems totally worth the trip. This kind of opportunity doesn't come along very often, just hope for good weather.
I just checked and it appears that 85% is like sunset or just before a storm. You are right, I need to experience the 100% coverage.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Check the map from nasa. You will already get 85% coverage within 200 miles of the midline. Not bad.
Two hundred miles is a joy ride. :)

As dumb as this sounds I am serious. Being retired now I have this surplus of time to do whatever I pretty much want to do. Maybe my wife would be up for it or a friend would want to go down to Kentucky. The next actual something I have on my calendar is April 7th I promised a friend I would take them to the VA Hospital for some surgery. The end of May 'll go down to NC and see some old friends like I do every year. It's just strange after so many years to have the time to do pretty much whatever you want to do whenever you get the bug. Hell, then I can say I watched a total eclipse of the sun. :)

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Two hundred miles is a joy ride. :)

As dumb as this sounds I am serious. Being retired now I have this surplus of time to do whatever I pretty much want to do. Maybe my wife would be up for it or a friend would want to go down to Kentucky. The next actual something I have on my calendar is April 7th I promised a friend I would take them to the VA Hospital for some surgery. The end of May 'll go down to NC and see some old friends like I do every year. It's just strange after so many years to have the time to do pretty much whatever you want to do whenever you get the bug. Hell, then I can say I watched a total eclipse of the sun. :)

Ron
I cannot wait for retirement. I'll be so busy.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's over 350 miles for me, but my wife's mother lives just a few minutes from the centerline, in Marion, IL.

FWIW, Marion is an excellent town for travelers, with tons of hotel space, chain restaurants and so on. The eclipse path passes directly through a very nice state park near Marion, Granite City State Park. It would make for a good observation spot.