Magnifying Video Camera for drilling?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Has anyone mounted one of those video pens to aid in drilling PCBs?

If I do not go with a CNC, the press I am considering is this.
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-3-speed-mini-drill-press,7797.html

I was thinking if I could mount one of those magnifying pens somehow, it would make the job of drilling PCBs a lot easier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600X-2MP-6-...341857?hash=item2c9bbbdf21:g:HPQAAOSw~OdVaevk

It would probably be best if I can get it inside that housing as close to the chuck as possible. But with that stand it just might work too.

Any ideas?

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
For me, I would think that 600X is too much magnification for drilling a PCB. Higher mag generally means a smaller focal length. You can see the effect with just a jeweler's loupe at only 7 or 10X magnification. Your 600X microscope wouldn't even provide you a clear view until it was almost touching the PCB. I like your idea of adding magnification, though. I use a scroll saw on wood and need to cut smooth curved lines to make the scroll patterns. I found a lighted magnifying glass at Woodcraft that fit the bill. It's only 10X, but I can split a sharp pencil line in half which I believe is enough accuracy for drilling PCB's, about 0.002".

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
For me, I would think that 600X is too much magnification for drilling a PCB. Higher mag generally means a smaller focal length. You can see the effect with just a jeweler's loupe at only 7 or 10X magnification. Your 600X microscope wouldn't even provide you a clear view until it was almost touching the PCB. I like your idea of adding magnification, though. I use a scroll saw on wood and need to cut smooth curved lines to make the scroll patterns. I found a lighted magnifying glass at Woodcraft that fit the bill. It's only 10X, but I can split a sharp pencil line in half which I believe is enough accuracy for drilling PCB's, about 0.002".
Thanks for the tip. I would hope those magnfiers are adjustable but your advice will be helpful in confirming that.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for that information. I saw those before. Thought they looked similar. There are a number of them under different names. This might be swaying me back to proxxon.
you might try a macro or zoom lens for a smart phone and then you have the monitor and camera in a compact position that will fit near your drill. Some lenses are only $15 and likely good enough for drilling.

I have one that I use for close-up surfaces at work - bought it at Five-Below for $5.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would mount a laser pen under the drill table, inline with the drill bit. That way when the small spot in the PCB 'island' is in the correct position you can tell.