Looking for Magnifying Lamp

billycar

Joined Dec 10, 2018
I see related links below. Thx
Suggestions on magnifications needed for best sight of boards would be nice.
Pros and Cons of bulb types. I prefer True color but ability to change to warmer/cooler also nice.
Size of lenses ... Bifocals? Or other? Glass verses plastic I assume is best.
Any suggestions on lenses combined with holding clamps, lights, fans. I've seen a few combos.
I liked an order metal model I saw at an established Jewelers ... Suggested Rio Grand?
Any favorites?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Up until recently I was using a similar magnifying lamp as in the link, it developed a problem and in looking for a replacement I eventually decided to go with the the Carson 'Magnivisor' head unit with led lamp and selection of lenses.
At the same time I also fitted a lamp holder and standard LED ES lamp to my old/defunct fluorescent magnifier as extra overall overhead illumination.
I find this set up much better for navigating around the bench as I do not need to move a desk fixed magnifier around when selecting a different area to work on.
Max.

billycar

Joined Dec 10, 2018
Up until recently I was using a similar magnifying lamp as in the link, it developed a problem and in looking for a replacement I eventually decided to go with the the Carson 'Magnivisor' head unit with led lamp and selection of lenses.
THX.
Decided to give it a try.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Whatever lamp you do get, be aware that a lot have a high frequency inverter built in to power the fluorescent tube. This can and does sometimes play havoc with sensitive circuits causing noise pick up, false triggering, and a multitude of problems.
If something you are working on seems to behave strangely, try turning the lamp off!

billycar

Joined Dec 10, 2018
Wonder if the LEDs have the frequency generation issue?
I went on and ordered the visor. No issues with interference except maybe the magnet in the LED light? Will see if this satisfies my needs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...1544841368&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65051e2012-7463-4ed0-bb96-7f34daf85d7c.jpg
I wear glasses and hope they work with the visor lenses, although after cataract surgery, my eyes function well enough to not use my glasses at all.
Also wonder if a $6 pair of Dollar Store 3x reading glasses would have sufficed.
Focal length is another parameter. Dioptors and all.
I only use one eye to see with, so things are fairly personalized, wait and see.

Last edited:

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Wonder if the LEDs have the frequency generation issue?
I went on and ordered the visor. No issues with interference except maybe the magnet in the LED light? Will see if this satisfies my needs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...1544841368&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65View attachment 165809
I wear glasses and hope they work with the visor lenses, although after cataract surgery, my eyes function well enough to not use my glasses at all.
Also wonder if a $6 pair of Dollar Store 3x reading glasses would have sufficed.
Focal length is another parameter. Dioptors and all.
I only use one eye to see with, so things are fairly personalized, wait and see.

I have a similar pair to those and use with my reading glasses and usually the weakest or next stronger lenses are sufficient for everything.

If you get light scratches on them, use toothpaste on a small cloth to polish them out then buff them up with a clean piece of cotton cloth. Don't use paper tissues of any sort as they can add scratches.

Last edited: