Magnetic propelling train

Sam Kuiper

Joined May 31, 2017
Dear AAC,

I'm working on a school project in wich I build a magnetic levitating train.
Besides the levitation of the train I want it to go forwards on command.
I found a way to propel a maglev train wich uses alternating magnetic fields

I want the train track to have permanent magnets and the train itself to change polarity.
I found that by changing the current on an electromagnet it will change polarity but how can I control this?
also wich magnets are the most suitable for this?

Sam

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi SK,
Have you explored the option of having the alternating field as the track and permanent magnets on the train for propulsion.?
E

Sam Kuiper

Joined May 31, 2017
hi SK,
Have you explored the option of having the alternating field as the track and permanent magnets on the train for propulsion.?
E
Maybe there is a way to place coils in the track and permanent magnets in the train. but I have no clue how this is done

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Look at the Chinese latest maglev technology..
For the track coils, each short electromagnetic is wound in the opposite sense to its neighbours.
So a current flowing thru the series of coils would produce a NS - SN - NS-....... series of electromagnets.
By varying the AC current frequency you would create a electromagnetic 'travelling wave' on which the permanent train magnets would ride on.

It a real scale installation, only the sections of track that the train is actually travelling over is energised.

Doing it this way keeps the train body weight low, all the control is 'off track'

https://www.facebook.com/chinadaily/videos/10154818050671291/

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I agree with Eric. Having all the switching stuff in the train would require radio control and would add weight. The train would also have to pick up power from somewhere, unless it carried batteries (more weight).

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
To understand how the coils are driven you can look at how stepper motor coils are controlled. Think of a group of coils of your track to be like the coils in a permanent magnet stepper motor.