Magnetic levitation help

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Does anyone know if any existing plans for a magnetic push type levitation circuit?

I thought of creating them myself but I do not have a lot of experience with creating coils and haven't created anything serious in almost a decade so a little rusty and want a good project. I assume most are using the coil to push the permanent magnet up.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
While this doesn't answer your question, it is very interesting.
Search YouTube and instructables. I am sure I have seen videos on how to make levitating globes etc.
Copper's Surprising Reaction to Strong Magnets | Force Field Motion Dampening

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Looking at the floating moon you linked to , this maybe using AC ....

A simple coil carrying AC should levitate an aluminium sphere ... same principle used in some mag lev trains ... this should be very easy to make.

The ones which hold the sphere by pulling it up work on DC they sense the distance of separation and adjust the coil current.

EDIT ... no it seems they all use DC , plenty of information on the wed ...Youtubes

Last edited:

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I am only guessing: The principle is a bit of a problem, the object can fly in any direction, it needs a container to limit the movement. The best option would be to use a container as big as the magnet and make it only from a few frames or from something transparent. Then its simple you put whatever you need to be levitated over the magnet and fire it up. If you do not want to use a container, then the object should be round and the lifting should be not too much to avoid falling on the sides(at least from what I saw in your link, it seems possible).

EDIT:
The other option is 2 magnets: 1 magnet around the second magnet, the first one pulls, the other one pushes.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Does anyone know if any existing plans for a magnetic push type levitation circuit?

I thought of creating them myself but I do not have a lot of experience with creating coils and haven't created anything serious in almost a decade so a little rusty and want a good project. I assume most are using the coil to push the permanent magnet up.
You can get a magnetic levitation kit from this individual-

Guy Marsden
site: arttec.net

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Everyone has really pitched in to offer ideas I really appreciate it. Looking at videos of others projects it looks like I will need 4 coils a couple of Hall sensors , will most likely choose switch type to feed into pwm circuit either 555 or microcontroller to stabilize the magnet above the coils. A few neodymium magnets to pull the hovering magnet. And maybe a mosfet withw flyback protection. Now where to find the coils.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Everyone has really pitched in to offer ideas I really appreciate it. Looking at videos of others projects it looks like I will need 4 coils a couple of Hall sensors , will most likely choose switch type to feed into pwm circuit either 555 or microcontroller to stabilize the magnet above the coils. A few neodymium magnets to pull the hovering magnet. And maybe a mosfet withw flyback protection. Now where to find the coils.
Coils are a major problem, since they're all different, and at the same time they're all alike ... every single time I've had to use coils for a project I've ended up winding them by hand myself.... except for just one project that required the use of #36 ga magnet wire. For that, I had to design and build a small machine to help me perform all the winding involved.

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Coils are a major problem, since they're all different, and at the same time they're all alike ... every single time I've had to use coils for a project I've ended up winding them by hand myself.... except for just one project that required the use of #36 ga magnet wire. For that, I had to design and build a small machine to help me perform all the winding involved.
The problem is trying to find a distributor I have some magnet wire 28awg, but it would be a pain to turn 4 at 1000 turns.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Does anyone know if an easy and reliable way to make a coil or should I just buy a couple of electromagnets?
Really, a magnetic suspension system only needs one magnetic coil and a photo sensor to switch the magnet off and on as the suspended object falls away and gets closer. Then you just set the hysteresis so that it does not move very far. But the switching action has to be both fast and strictly on/off, with no linear region to generate heat. Then the physical challenge is to have the light beam and sensor positioned correctly. And winding one coil with perhaps #24 wire is not that hard if you use a hand drill to turn the form and you do not need to count the turns, just to fill the form.