Magnavox Rear Projection TV Problem

hondabones

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Hello,

I've been asked to look at this TV. It takes a long time to turn on. Any ideas as to what causes this?

Thanks.

hondabones

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Yes, it is, Actually it may be considered a front projection TV but same idea.

Model: 55P8288A
Chassis: PTV910

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If it's slow to turn on then it may be the picture tubes going bad. To get the desired brightness the small tubes were driven very hard and thus tend to have a shorter life than a standard CRT TV. Likely not worth fixing, especially with the low prices of flat panel TVs now.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
My 8 years old Sony 32" CRT TV failed then I replaced the burned out parts and it worked for 1 week then the same parts failed again.
I phoned a few TV repair places and offered it free if they take it away. None wanted it.
I advertised it in Kagigi and a guy came, picked it up all by himself (it weighed a lot) and gave me $25.00 for it.
Then my son bought me another newer and better Sony 32" TV for only $60.00.

So the replacement TV costed me only $35.00. It is newer and better than the original and it works great.

I don't need a thin flat huge screen HD TV "yet". My daughter has one that is HD and 60".

My son bought a used TV projector and a remote controlled screen. Its image is HD, very bright and is HUGE.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I gutted an old crt type rear projection TV and used the case for a portable big screen LCD TV. The case was oak and too nice to throw out. I'm planning on using the screen with a rear projector for maybe movie nights in the back yard.

hondabones

Joined Sep 29, 2009
If it's slow to turn on then it may be the picture tubes going bad. To get the desired brightness the small tubes were driven very hard and thus tend to have a shorter life than a standard CRT TV. Likely not worth fixing, especially with the low prices of flat panel TVs now.
I kind of figured this was the problem. I'm not familiar with TV repair. I did pull the back off and attempt to have a look but it honestly seemed to work correctly. Thanks for the response.