LumiLor? LED matrix? Something else?

shantiiclear

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Hello,
Does anyone know what 'technology' is used in this videos:
?
I would like to make the same effect; visualising music from SDcard/phone.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I need to know this as well, as I’ll be using something similar on a large scale for a theatrical production. Think 12-20’ by 14’! And several other pieces that are a little smaller (6-8’ by 14’).

It also looks to me that it may be accomplished with EL panels. They can be cut into different shapes. You’d need an EL driver and a circuit to react to the music.

I’d use something I’m familiar with. I’d run the audio through
  • an Op Amp to scale the voltage to near-full range of a microprocessor,
  • then through an envelop follower,
  • then into an ADC pin on a microprocessor.
Similar to this Project: Converting Audio to 0-4VDC Signal for Animatronics.

The microprocessor can control individual segments or group of segments, based on the amplitude of the audio track.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Never underestimate what can be done with graphics, a good projector, and a good screen. And also just plain really good graphics.Just because you can really see it does not make it really real.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Never underestimate what can be done with graphics, a good projector, and a good screen. And also just plain really good graphics.Just because you can really see it does not make it really real.
Kind of hard to project graphics on s costume worn by a person, who moves unpredictably around a conference center. Or even in a room.

But if you can hire a crew to move a mobile alighting tree and follow you while keeping the projector aligned with your costume, I say go for it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I was thinking of a static situation and not realizing it was on costumes on characters. That does make a lot of difference. There are also fiber-optic threads that can be stitched into fabrics and produce impressive results. And also some phosphor materials that convert UV illumination to quite bright light.

shantiiclear

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Thank you all for answers!

I need to know this as well, as I’ll be using something similar on a large scale for a theatrical production. Think 12-20’ by 14’! And several other pieces that are a little smaller (6-8’ by 14’).

It also looks to me that it may be accomplished with EL panels. They can be cut into different shapes. You’d need an EL driver and a circuit to react to the music.

I’d use something I’m familiar with. I’d run the audio through
  • an Op Amp to scale the voltage to near-full range of a microprocessor,
  • then through an envelop follower,
  • then into an ADC pin on a microprocessor.
Similar to this Project: Converting Audio to 0-4VDC Signal for Animatronics.

The microprocessor can control individual segments or group of segments, based on the amplitude of the audio track.
I'm also going to need it for a theatrical project! But in my case I need these 'LEDs' for a mask. It will be worn by an actor so I need it to me as mobile/compact as possible.
I'm not into electronics at all.

It says EL wire but looks like panels with printing over them and panelized. Electroluminescent panels and wire work on AC so you will need an inverter to power it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...fb-4d77-869f-fbb920d19a68&transAbTest=ae803_5
So EL panels.
How hard will it be to make a small music equalizer with EL panel that will be able to visualise music from phone/SD card?
+it will be on a mask.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank you all for answers!

I'm also going to need it for a theatrical project! But in my case I need these 'LEDs' for a mask. It will be worn by an actor so I need it to me as mobile/compact as possible.
I'm not into electronics at all.

First, it needs to recognize both frequency bands and amplitudes, then send them to the selected driver, which needs to control the high voltage for the EL panel, and do it all without shocking the person wearing the mask. Not so very hard for a team good at designing cell phones.

So EL panels.
How hard will it be to make a small music equalizer with EL panel that will be able to visualise music from phone/SD card?
+it will be on a mask.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So EL panels.
+it will be on a mask.
EL panels require an inverter to operate. You may need more than one unless you can find or make one that will power all the segments. That’s a problem that I’m struggling with myself, for I’m going to use a LOT of EL devices. It depends on the total dimensions of EL devices you require.

Are all segments going to react together? Or are different segments going to react differently depending on the tone of the music or volume of the music?

If it’s the former, look for a color organ. For the latter, look for the latter. The project, to which I provided a link, includes a circuit for the latter (don’t use the amplifier circuit, but feed it to a better amplifier)

Lastly, can you code? Depending on the total number of light channels, you could use an ATTiny85 or Arduino Nano. Both are small enough to be included in the mask. I’m most familiar with the Arduino family and like it because it’s learning curve isn’t too bad for a beginner.

shantiiclear

Joined Jan 3, 2019
EL panels require an inverter to operate. You may need more than one unless you can find or make one that will power all the segments. That’s a problem that I’m struggling with myself, for I’m going to use a LOT of EL devices. It depends on the total dimensions of EL devices you require.

Are all segments going to react together? Or are different segments going to react differently depending on the tone of the music or volume of the music?

If it’s the former, look for a color organ. For the latter, look for the latter. The project, to which I provided a link, includes a circuit for the latter (don’t use the amplifier circuit, but feed it to a better amplifier)

Lastly, can you code? Depending on the total number of light channels, you could use an ATTiny85 or Arduino Nano. Both are small enough to be included in the mask. I’m most familiar with the Arduino family and like it because it’s learning curve isn’t too bad for a beginner.
I just need a small piece of EL panel. It will be attached just where mouth is. The EL panels will visualise actor's in the mask speaking.
Unfortunetely I'm not into coding or anything related at all. I will try to find someone who will do this for me. But first I need to know what excatly I need.
I was thinking about Arduino, but I abandoned this idea because I thought it will be too big for the mask. I didn't know it has 'nano' version. Untill now. And also sombody told me that Arduino may not be that safe due to power supply problems. Don't know what that person excatly meant.

Do you think Arduino Nano could still fit my 'concept'? I remember there are 1.5'' TFT screens, which would be perfect in my case.

But;
Will I be able to connect a SD card/phone to the device in order to play a short videoclip (not only visualising music but also some other stuff edited in some movie maker app.
Or it will be able to only visualise music just like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OLED-Music-Spectrum-Display-Module/32970273077.html ?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is this whole thing for a live theatrical production, or for an ongoing show? Or for a production being recorded for presentation at other times? It seems like it may be for a production in front of an audience, which would be the very most challenging.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First it will be recorded. No plans for live production yet.
In a recorded production there are options of including all kinds of effects, including animated insets, which could solve the challenge of adding video to what is showing on a mask. Scaling an existing frame and inserting it into another video frame takes some special software but it has been done for quite some time. So that could be the solution to what you are seeking. I saw the effect in a video a while back.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Also, in a recording you may be able to hide the drive components OUTSIDE the mask. For example, put the components in a pouch which could be hidden behind the actor and connected to the EL panel with just a couple of wires. In fact, while the Arduino and shields may be too large for the mask, they could be hidden in the costume.

I’ve used an Arduino Uno with this shield (an add-on circuit for Arduinos) in my animatronics to play speech and drive an RC servo to move the mouth to the words. It has an SD card to read the files of the speech/music.

I created the AAEF project to drive the servo. I’ve given the link in an earlier post. Check out the link above and read about the features. It has what you want. It’s made by Adafruit, which provides excellent support of its products!

I will provide help, if you go this route.