LTSpice Standard.* help

milo8036

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Hey everyone,

would really appreciate a little help here. So I'm new to LTS but loving it so far. Ive been looking into adding 3rd party diode and bjt models but seem to have an issue.

Ive been to the c:\...\lib\cmp folder and edited the relevant file for either a diode or bjt save the changes with the correct extension and file name and restarted LTS. when i place a diode or bjt and try and select the model Ive just added it does not seem to be listed?

im sure I'm just being silly but any help would be appreciated.

milo8036

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Hi crutschow,

yeah made sure of it. also did a full system reboot just in case. I'm in IT as a profession so have an idea of what I'm up to but a little confused at this point.

I have noticed that their is also an LTSpice dir under 'My Documents'? is this a user/login specific version of the config?
Ive tried to edit the standard.dio in this location but as soon as i try and select a diode in LTS
I'm prompted that no library file exists

milo8036

Joined Sep 15, 2016
So I've had a bit of a play around and seem to have solved my problem. After installing LTS and running for the first time the c:\...\lib folder is copied to C:\...\Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib. This seems to be done on a per user basis.

After making change to the standard.* in the c:\...\lib dir I had to delete the C:\...\Documents\LTspiceXVII folder to cause LTS to re-create the dir with the new settings.

Anyone aware of how touchy LTS is about file formatting for the standard.* files? any values/structure that is a MUST besides the obvious?

Tom Situ

Joined Jul 9, 2018
Thanks! This was very helpful
I had the same problem.. It appear LTSPICXVII made two copy of the lib directory as you said. For me, I just went ahead the file in "My document" directory it seems to work for me.