Losing weight, and staying fit...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's official, the 80 Kg barrier has just been shattered ... yesterday morning I weighted 79.7 Kg :). Although officially my dry period ends tomorrow (I haven't drank a drop of alcohol since Dic 31), I intend to keep the diet going and add exercise to the mix. So either I'll stabilize at my current weight, or I'll keep losing a bit more at a slower pace... but I plan to weight myself every day starting next week, and greenly count my calories if I ever reach or exceed 80 Kg.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It's official, the 80 Kg barrier has just been shattered ... yesterday morning I weighted 79.7 Kg :). Although officially my dry period ends tomorrow (I haven't drank a drop of alcohol since Dic 31), I intend to keep the diet going and add exercise to the mix. So either I'll stabilize at my current weight, or I'll keep losing a bit more at a slower pace... but I plan to weight myself every day starting next week, and greenly count my calories if I ever reach or exceed 80 Kg.
I'm 5'9" weighing in this morning at 77.06 Kg or 169.9 lbs so, I'm averaging between 74.84 Kg to 165 lbs. If I eat my good foods diets no calorie counting, it's kind of like a paleo diet, no sugars, no dairy but for the occasional Goat Cheese on my Taco, very little pasta or bread (maybe once a week) I eat twice daily nothing after 6 pm until 10am the next day, then nothing till dinner at 6pm again. The 10am brunch consist's of 3 eggs and hash browns or 1/2 baked potato, no butter just some avocado oil salt and pepper. Sea food or Chicken for dinner, Red Meats are Buffalo or Elk no Pork or Beef.

No processed meats GMO's or fake Sweeteners of any kind, not even honey, no fruit, all Beans are pressure cooked and all seeds removed from peppers along with the skin. My food isn't bland it's just not prepared the way everyone else does it. No wheat, bran, rye, or brown rice, only white bread or sour dough if any, I can do Rice Bread, Potato Bread, otherwise Gluten Free. White rice only. No, Soy.

I think this is my average weight, the last time I weighed myself was in Jan. No exercise but for the stairs at the college and a level walk around the administration building in the morning before brunch maybe a mile or so, normal Gate not fast paced, although I should work out more, but I expect to get a workout in the yard again this year.

Good luck my friend.

kv

Edit: I do have 6 shots or so before bed, no beer or wine.

Last edited:

standerman

Joined Apr 4, 2018
I have now lost more than 5 kg (11 lbs) since I got started, and all during a period of less than five weeks. And I look and feel the hell of a lot better. I feel lighter, and have more energy than before... how could I forget how being healthy felt like? ...
A familiar feeling that I do not want to lose again. My results are more modest, given the period, but still, they are.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Bump - Good Thread checking on everyones status e.g. @cmartinez, @WBahn and others.

What have you learned Successes or Failures.

kv
Well... after my very public declaration that I made about two years ago... my weight went slightly down, but then I lost motivation for personal reasons that I'd rather not discuss here... so up (and beyond) my weight went again.
This year though. I talked to my wife and told her how serious my intentions were this time, and she is thoroughly supporting me.

I have not had a drop of alcohol and not even a pinch of sugar in any form since January 11. And although I've only lost about 8 pounds my measurements have gone down quite noticeably. I plan to keep on going this way until I weight what I want to weight. That is, at least 76 kg/167lb. I'm 1.77m (5'-10") by the way.

Of course, I'm being more careful now about what I eat, and how I eat it. I've always been a fast eater, and that's a very, very bad habit. If I ever reach the weight that I want following this course, I'm going to start having my weekend drinks again. But I am never, ever ever ever going to go back to sugar. Giving that up was not too hard, but I did notice the withdrawal effects on the second or third day, and they were noticeably unpleasant. That in and by itself has made me more aware of how negative sugar in general is for my personal health.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Well... after my very public declaration that I made about two years ago... my weight went slightly down, but then I lost motivation for personal reasons that I'd rather not discuss here... so up (and beyond) my weight went again.
This year though. I talked to my wife and told her how serious my intentions were this time, and she is thoroughly supporting me.

I have not had a drop of alcohol and not even a pinch of sugar in any form since January 11. And although I've only lost about 8 pounds my measurements have gone down quite noticeably. I plan to keep on going this way until I weight what I want to weight. That is, at least 76 kg/167lb. I'm 1.77m (5'-10") by the way.

Of course, I'm being more careful now about what I eat, and how I eat it. I've always been a fast eater, and that's a very, very bad habit. If I ever reach the weight that I want following this course, I'm going to start having my weekend drinks again. But I am never, ever ever ever going to go back to sugar. Giving that up was not too hard, but I did notice the withdrawal effects on the second or third day, and they were noticeably unpleasant. That in and by itself has made me more aware of how negative sugar in general is for my personal health.
Almost exactly what I experienced but, sugar was never an issue it was sleep and I was over drinking at night. Just as bad as sugar, I was 172lbs maintaining that weight for 2 years but the fog in the morning was not pleasurable, didn’t feel like myself un-motivated lethargic. Went back to the diet in my Book I presented here all is good now 2 weeks dropped to 165Ibs never hungry, I also do intermittent fasting, I eat at or around 6pm, then don’t eat anything until Noon, if I need a snack almonds, I drink almond milk no cheese, if I want butter I use Ghee tastes like butter lactose free. Limited carbs bread is Sourdough fermentation helps to kill the lectins, I’m attempting to restore my gut wall back to 2 years ago. More energy fog gone as long as I don’t carb load, I can feel when I need some.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
As a side note, I've discovered that almonds and pistachios are an excellent snack when one wants to quench that bothersome hunger that most of the time attacks close to bedtime. I also gave up added cheese btw. That is, I don't put it into my sandwiches anymore, nor I snack on it... I do eat pizza, though... although months can pass between slices.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I must take care to eat enough to stay on weight.
I have the tendens to loose weight when I eat to less.

Bertus

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello,

I must take care to eat enough to stay on weight.
I have the tendens to loose weight when I eat to less.

Bertus
I am like that too. I have to eat and exercise otherwise I loose weight. My philosophy is do everything in moderation.
Eat, drink, exercise, and sleep well - all in moderation, and have an optimistic but realistic outlook in life.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am like that too. I have to eat and exercise otherwise I loose weight. My philosophy is do everything in moderation.
Eat, drink, exercise, and sleep well - all in moderation, and have an optimistic but realistic outlook in life.
It's the exercise part that I'm failing at... but I'm about to change that... I envy your metabolism.

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Nearly 10 years ago I dropped from 300 pounds to 200 by adopting a keto diet, and kept it off until last fall. I ballooned 35 pounds from Sept to January. I'm still not sure what happened. In summer I rollerblade for an hour every sunny day and that stopped in October. My gym closed down then and I haven't been back. I am suspicious though that in August I started drinking a no-sugar sports drink daily along with chewing lots of sugar free gum. I can't prove it but those artificial sweeteners are possibly to blame for my metabolic mystery.

I've dropped 12 pounds since early January mostly by reducing my calories. I bought an exercise bike and have spent a lot of hours on it, watching youtube videos, that helps a little. But I maintain weight loss is mostly a matter of what goes in the mouth. Exercise is only a major factor if you can devote at least an hour a day which isn't easy, especially in winter.

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
One possibility is that the sugar-like sweeteners kicked me out of ketosis so my normally high fat diet started converting to body fat. I've been skeptical of "franken-sugars" for years and avoided them until last fall. My adult son lives with me, and he experienced weight gain during that time as well. We went back to drinking water.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Artificial sweeteners also cause you to eat more naturally sweetened foods (when you eat them) because the artificially sweetened stuff is sickeningly sweet. I tried mixing Coke half regular, half artificially sweetened whenever I ate fast food and found that it made the beverage too sweet so now I just drink regular Coke. Don't have to worry about that now because I've only had fast food a couple times since the pandemic and when I get takeout, I don't get a beverage.

I don't believe in diets. I try to eat in moderation; allowing myself to gain 3-5 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year. Then I work it off before the next Thanksgiving. I would like to lose an 5 extra pounds to give me a 10 pound margin from being considered overweight, but that takes more effort than I care to expend.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Artificial sweeteners also cause you to eat more naturally sweetened foods (when you eat them) because the artificially sweetened stuff is sickeningly sweet. I tried mixing Coke half regular, half artificially sweetened whenever I ate fast food and found that it made the beverage too sweet so now I just drink regular Coke. Don't have to worry about that now because I've only had fast food a couple times since the pandemic and when I get takeout, I don't get a beverage.

I don't believe in diets. I try to eat in moderation; allowing myself to gain 3-5 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year. Then I work it off before the next Thanksgiving. I would like to lose an 5 extra pounds to give me a 10 pound margin from being considered overweight, but that takes more effort than I care to expend.
Diets are a very personal thing, literally... what works for one person will doom the other one. In my case, I gave up sugary drinks of any form a long time ago. I still have to give up on artificial sweeteners, though... it's good for me that I like to drink my coffee plain, with no milk, sugar or cream.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
I've been up to 97kg in the past, and couldn't see anything amiss, until one day I was reviewing the security cameras and thought "Who is that fat guys wandering round the house?" and it was ME. I was shocked into dealing with it, and got down to 79kg. Good enough. Then over time crept back up to 87kg. All last year I determined to lose weight and just couldn't get "into the zone". So this Christmas I managed to switch. I've now also just broke through 80kg. The last week had a big bounce back up, which was very demoralising, but - just got to eat modestly. The BMI charts say I should be 73kg of so (holy cow!) but I'm set on a goal of 75kg. The tend is 100gm per day so aiming for the end of March. I'm going to stay there this time!

It's hard work eating moderately in this modern world of plentiful excellent food. Exercise is helpful, but it's the food quantity that's the problem. The daily weighing and the chart are a motivator for me but, as remarked earlier, obsession is always a risky side effect.

Weight.jpg

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I’m going to bump the book I suggested and live by, as an athlete I followed common practices to lose weight to be in competition, as a competetor, I exercised daily but not an hour, just 20 minutes a day, with the goal of 210ibs to anything lower, it took 7 months daily in this rigor. But I stopped dead at 180lbs and stayed there no matter what I did, I couldn’t get even close to my fighting weight 157lbs, I was then 5’9” since then at 25 now I’m 63, what matabolizim? So, when my Dad died 3 years ago, I was surfing the net, when I was looking at a washington post article which has nothing to do with my surprise, I looked to the side bar of things applied to previous searches, there I found something about a book, called “The Plant Paradox” for years I’ve read about the ”French Paradox” Ok, look it up if you want to, but they eat more of what we here in the U.S. would call an un-healthy diet.

Ok, moving on to the book you can read some contents in the book, it has an arrow that says look inside on amazon, so I did and was completely stumped and astonished, read about his accomplishment and true medical patents, what he has accomplished as a ”Heart Surgen” once I read that, I coninued and gave it the time of day, increadably I went from my stagnation of 180lbs to 165lbs now that was then I got off my center a year ago, when it came to drinking to much, now it’s not at all, dropped from 172lbs to again, 165lbs and dropping, more energy no longer lathargic, brain fog gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Paradox-Dangers-Healthy-Disease/dp/006242713X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NXCOISO8E5HX&dchild=1&keywords=plant+paradox+book+by+steven+gundry&qid=1613435371&sprefix=Plant+par,aps,212&sr=8-1

Choose to look or don’t, doesn’t matter to me, I just hope you can learn something like I did. For years I’ve had personal trainers and no one came close to what this man knows.

Good luck and stay healthy,
kv

Last edited: