Losing weight, and staying fit...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Today's Feb the 9th ... it's weighting day. And the scale reported that I weight 82.3 kg. I've only lost 400 g in the last 11 days! :mad: ... that's less than one stink'n pound ...

What that means is either that I've been retaining a little water, or that my weight loss is slowing down because I've not been exercising ... at all. It's time to hit the pavement and start doing some brisk walking. I'll even try to jog a little, if I can.

Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm going to walk 7.5 km (5 miles) every day until Monday the 19th ... then I'll see what the scale has to say.

I need to break that 80 kg barrier ... :cool:
It's exercise, I know I dropped 15 lbs last summer while working on my yard digging and pouring concrete. Your right where I was a year ago for 3 years prior couldn't break it, till I found the diet.

Not to say that's what you need but, excersise was what I forgot was happening when I dropped those hard to get rid of pounds.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That reminds me of an interesting factoid. Do you know how and through where we get rid of most of our weight?

Through our breathing ... that is, when O2 reaches our lungs, it's then chemically converted into CO2, which we then breath out ... We're losing one single atom of carbon for every molecule of oxygen that our body processes

That means that we're essentially evaporating ... no wonder why losing weight is such a slow process!

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
That reminds me of an interesting factoid. Do you know how and through where we get rid of most of our weight?

Through our breathing ... that is, when O2 reaches our lungs, it's then chemically converted into CO2, which we then breath out ... We're losing one single atom of carbon for every molecule of oxygen that our body processes

That means that we're essentially evaporating ... no wonder why losing weight is such a slow process!
Biology books have a section on metabolism and what happens to the solid and liquids that are taken in by eating and drinking.

A large part of it goes into creating new cells for growth from infancy through the adult years of life, replacing dead cells, breathing out CO2 and H2O, and what's left over is excreted as waste products.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Biology books have a section on metabolism and what happens to the solid and liquids that are taken in by eating and drinking.

A large part of it goes into creating new cells for growth from infancy through the adult years of life, replacing dead cells, breathing out CO2 and H2O, and what's left over is excreted as waste products.
Yes, but in the case of water, the body maintains a self-regulated balance. Unless high in salts, or due to illness, the body keeps watever water it needs, and discards the rest.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've been going to the gym every Monday and Wednesday for the last 20 years. The gym is a kickboxing club. I started with my step-son, and after 6 months, he thought he knew what was needed to know about kickboxing, so he quit. I stayed. After a few years, I was asked if I wanted to participate in some competitions. This is based on weight, and my weight class was 63.5 kg. I'm 178cm, so I was really skinny. I ate exactly what I wanted, drank what I wanted, but I never ever ate after 18:00. No matter what. If this was healthy, I don't know, but I stayed at 63.5. After I quit competing, due to age, I've gained a few kilos, but I use the same dress/suit from the time I was an active athlete, and I sometimes eat after 18:00. So as mentioned a few post back, you need to find what works for you.

My GF worked at bakery factory. Which means a lot of tasting... Recently she changed her job to a grocery store, where she is leader/head of the bakery department... Let's just say she hasn't found her way yet. ;)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Got back to eating like I should and dropped 3 lbs 167lbs but, for that last week and a half nothing. Cut out sugars all together, bread and gluten. I noticed a big difference in my inflammation.

Making progress tried doing more stairs but my knee is bothering me, the weather changes make it difficult to exercise, my knee doesn't like it apparently.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This morning I weighted 81.9 kg. Again, only 400g have left my body ... Sad thing is, I'm overwhelmed with work right now, and haven't taken the time to exercise... I simply have to make that a priority! :mad: ...

Oh, well. As long as the tendency is down, and not simply stable, or up!

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I'm overwhelmed with work right now, and haven't taken the time to exercise... I simply have to make that a priority! :mad: ...
The good news is that the days are getting longer and (hopefully) warmer. I was out on the bicycle Saturday. :D

Right now it is 16 degF ( -9 degC ) here in Denver. :eek: Quite a change in just a few days.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wow I got on the scale today. 199lbs! I am 6'1" That is it. No more sweets. No more beer till I lose this weight. I was well over 215 at one point, a wile back. I worked very hard to get 10 180lbs. Time ti get back to work. I really hate the winter because I can't get out to ride my bicycle.

The sort of good news is that I had my BMI tested today and it is 26%. By the charts that is at the low end of being overweight.

@cmartinez you are so lucky to live in a place were the weather is warm. But what is it like in the summer? Is it cool enough to exercise outdoors?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Wow I got on the scale today. 199lbs! I am 6'1" That is it. No more sweets. No more beer till I lose this weight. I was well over 215 at one point, a wile back. I worked very hard to get 10 180lbs. Time ti get back to work. I really hate the winter because I can't get out to ride my bicycle.

The sort of good news is that I had my BMI tested today and it is 26%. By the charts that is at the low end of being overweight.

@cmartinez you are so lucky to live in a place were the weather is warm. But what is it like in the summer? Is it cool enough to exercise outdoors?
It's hell on earth some days down here during the summer. It's not only hot, but it's humid as well. And since we're nowhere near the coast, The heat index is extremely uncomfortable.

Even so, many people like to practice outdoor sports, and the nearby mountains are great for hiking and biking all year long.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This morning I weighted 81.9 kg. Again, only 400g have left my body ... Sad thing is, I'm overwhelmed with work right now, and haven't taken the time to exercise... I simply have to make that a priority! :mad: ...

Oh, well. As long as the tendency is down, and not simply stable, or up!
There's no February the 29th this year... so March the 1st had to be my weighing day this time... and, great news! I weighed 80.7 kg. That's a 1.2 Kg loss in ten days... not too shabby :)

The bad news: I still haven't got myself around to start exercising ... I know myself, and I'm procrastinating under stupid excuses ... but I also know that once I get started, it'll also be hard for me to stop ... new routines for me are hard to start... but they're also hard to break once I make up my mind...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Forgot to weigh myself two days ago (on the 9th), but this morning the scale reported 80.2 kg... that's only half a kg lost in 10 days...

My face already looks different, and I need to wear my belt two sizes tighter than when I got started, so I'm staying upbeat about this whole thing.

Gotta break that 80 kg barrier, though!

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Has anyone with an overweight problem ever tried the "99% C" technique?

99% C means your body is accelerated to 99% of the speed of light and in accordance with the theory of relativity, your mass increases, but the width of your body decreases. Therefore, you can remain overweight, but you'll look rally great to observers in your frame of reference. :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Has anyone with an overweight problem ever tried the "99% C" technique?

99% C means your body is accelerated to 99% of the speed of light and in accordance with the theory of relativity, your mass increases, but the width of your body decreases. Therefore, you can remain overweight, but you'll look rally great to observers in your frame of reference. :)
And you'll also burn the hell of a lot of calories accelerating to that speed...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
:mad: 200 lousy grams lost in the last 10 days... the scale reported exactly 80 kg two days ago... I haven't been able to break that magic number yet... but I'll get there alright.

Then again, since I've been weighting myself every ten days, and not on the same day of the week, my measurements might be a little misleading. Because there are other factors such as liquid retention or diet routines ... that, or perhaps the fact that I pigged out a little during the weekend (because I was taking a small vacation) had something to do with it... :oops:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't know if living a long, hungry life would be a good thing:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...n-may-extend-lifespan-by-changing-your-sleep/

For two years, 34 of these people ate 15 per cent fewer calories, while the others ate as much as they wanted.

The calorie-restricted regime seemed to cause some interesting effects. In the second year of the study, those eating fewer calories showed a dramatic drop in their night-time metabolic rates, and a small but significant drop in their night-time body temperature. “Metabolism measured during sleep was reduced by 10 per cent,” says Redman.