Looking help to design First PCB

aspirea5745

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Hello everyone

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I'm really a beginner for PCB design So let's start at the beginning with the power supply.

I tried to add only a few components I have added battery terminal, diode and capacitor

upload_2019-6-4_15-21-20.png

upload_2019-6-4_15-21-39.png

This is PCB Design

upload_2019-6-4_15-21-53.png

after that, I tried to add a voltage regulator

Made circuit

upload_2019-6-4_15-24-6.png
Component placing window

upload_2019-6-4_15-24-25.png

Final PCB

upload_2019-6-4_15-25-13.png

If you look carefully output of voltage regulator is not connected to the other end of terminal 2

I have been followed tutorials and seen videos but I don't understand how to arrange all part's

any help would be appreciated

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Where is the PCB outline / shape, Mounting holes (if any) etc.?
I Don't use Eagle though I have it on my computer ( I use Diptrace) but if it has an Auto placement function try it. I tried it and didn't like what it done to my design so I did mine free handed. I too am a Beginner so you've come to the right place. I took several months learning the ins and outs of Diptrace before setting out to build my board.

Brzrkr

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have been followed tutorials and seen videos but I don't understand how to arrange all part's
Well laid out boards are more of an art than science. No one can give you a recipe.

Without knowing your objectives, I did this layout:
upload_2019-6-4_7-11-27.png upload_2019-6-4_7-11-46.png upload_2019-6-4_7-12-29.png

I don't like the skinny pads Eagle uses on some compoents, so a final might look like this:
upload_2019-6-4_7-15-4.png

EDIT: The important thing to note is that I used the body of the capacitor as a "jumper" so the board could be single sided with no wire jumpers. I also made the board larger so mounting holes could be incorporated.

Last edited:

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Flip your board over so the words are not backwards and it will be easier to see what's going on.

I'm guessing your center pin in GND. If so, it should be connected to the ground plane and not routed directly, maybe this is what your software is expecting?

Generally speaking, you don't normally route grounds. Instead you make all unused space on your PCB into a ground plane, then any ground pins just connect to that. The feature in your software is sometimes called polygon pour. So after routing everything except grounds, you would then do a polygon pour to fill all unused areas with copper, and set the polygon to be the GND net. Depending on your software, the ground pins may or may not be automatically connected to the ground plane that you just created. For example, here is a through hole part that has a ground pin like yours, routed but no polygon pour yet. Notice the GND pin does not have a trace to it:

upload_2019-6-4_9-57-21.png

And here is the same thing after adding the ground plane. Notice how the center pin is connected to the ground plane (polygon pour):

upload_2019-6-4_9-58-26.png

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@MrSoftware
Not all PCB's require a ground plate. I did learn about them while building my first PCB and understand how they work. But they sometimes are overkill in simple PCB's where one or two grounds are present. You could just tie them together with a trace. On a board where you have 5, 10 or multiple grounds then yes.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
aspirea5745] I have red layers and you do have blue What's the difference between red and blue layer?
Not sure about Eagle but you can make them any color you want. (x) For ground, (x) for traces and so forth. In other words customize it to your liking.
aspirea5745] Mine layout doesn't look pretty
Practice makes perfect! I said the same thing.
Did you try the auto placement function ?
My first PCB

Now in my hands

Brzrkr

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have red layers and you do have blue What's the difference between red and blue layer?
In my version of Eagle, blue is the bottom layer and red is the top. I can't do more than 2 layers because I use the free version (and a very old version).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Mine layout doesn't look pretty
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it takes a lot of practice.

When you place the components on the board, pay attention to the fly wires. From the schematic, I could tell that the connections to the voltage regulator were the only ones that could require wire crossings. I kept that in mind when I placed the components.

It seems that you changed the capacitor package and are using one with 0.1" lead spacing in the later drawings. That makes it more difficult to route a trace between the pads.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
@MrSoftware
Not all PCB's require a ground plate. I did learn about them while building my first PCB and understand how they work. But they sometimes are overkill in simple PCB's where one or two grounds are present. You could just tie them together with a trace. On a board where you have 5, 10 or multiple grounds then yes.
You are correct, but having a ground plane instead of routing the grounds can make routing easier, IMHO anyway. It's that many fewer traces to have to worry about.

aspirea5745

Joined Apr 17, 2019
It seems that you changed the capacitor package and are using one with 0.1" lead spacing in the later drawings. That makes it more difficult to route a trace between the pads.
anyone tell me how to print out a layout in eagle? I just want to print the copper layer of a board without the part layout or any other stuff. I have tried viewing the top layer only but it doesn't seem to do anything.

How do you guys print out copper layer?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have tried viewing the top layer only but it doesn't seem to do anything.

How do you guys print out copper layer?
Use the Display button to select the metal layer you want to view, plus pads, vias, and, maybe, Dimension.

When you print, make sure select the Style options you want (e.g. Black, Solid, and, maybe Mirror). Select scale factor (usually 1). If you set page limit too low, printout might get scaled.

When I post schematics from Eagle, I print to PDF in B&W because color coded schematics just seem silly.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Again I don't use Eagle but I think you can go into: View / Layer settings and once you click on a layer you can chose to show or hide it

Now I might be wrong but I think this is where it's done.
I asked here about PCB design programs too. I downloaded eagle because I am very good with AutoCad and used it for years. But found it hard to navigate without looking at a bunch of tutorials :rolleyes:
So I downloaded Diptrace and have never looked back.... Much easier to work with. Now I'm not trying to discourage you from Eagle as I think everyone should learn as much as they can in their lives. Just suggesting you might want to try it and see what you think.

Brzrkr

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When I post schematics from Eagle, I print to PDF in B&W because color coded schematics just seem silly.
The TS’s design is simple and not a good candidate for the following process, but I’d do it anyway (OCD is a heavy cross to bear).

Wrt dl324’s post... color schematics and PCB layouts defeat the next step in my review. I use B&W printouts and a variety of colored highlighters. Then, I start with the schematic and trace one connection. Then, I trace the matching connection on the PCB board. I’ll use one color for all supply voltages, another for all ground connections and a third color for everything else. When I’m done, each and every trace should be highlighted.

By doing this, you’ll find both miswired and missing connections. Nothing is worse than finding a mistake... after you’ve paid a wad of dough and sent your PCB out to be made.