Looking for Solution, task is want to checking wiring issue

kttan

Joined Feb 3, 2021
how to edit title , forgot put the title....

Hi ,

I'm new, I got no idea to do a test 1 vs 10k signal.
The main task is want to checking wiring issue, want to design a circuit with program that can check the continuity for all wire/point.
-to make sure no wrong wire.

i found some device like Data Acquisition, the channel is less , and expensive , I'm need some more basic to check all the wire(it not only 1 to 1 , might 1 to many).

- all point will connect to 1 signal , by software determine which the wire connect to other point , it can multiple point(>2 point connect together).

any idea on it ? Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This can be done any of several ways. You only mention continuity? Point to point continuity depends on the line resistance. You do not mention how many lines? The dimple method would be tie all of one end together and MUX (Multiplex) through the other end. This will not tell you if there are any shorted lines. You can MUX both ends and step through but again this will not show shorted lines. What you are asking depends on what you need for test results and exactly what you want to test as to characteristics. Make your self a list of all the parameters you want to test and then a test method for each.

Ron

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Is this for ethernet? Sounds like a cable tester. You can make one. I did long ago and created a dongle to put at the far-end with LEDs (1 for each signal wire) so I could see if any crossed.

1612365010172.png

and assembled:

1612365038436.png

I had a cable tester, where the remote end-dongle failed, so I simply made one to replace it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I hhave created a few such test schemes and programmed them for two years. They were a bit more complex because the were checking automotive wiring harnesses after they were installed in the body, on the instrument panel, and on the engine. But the TS makes no statement as to how many wires in the cable and that has a big effect on the cost and complexity. Also, how many cables? A system to check 50 wire cable cables at 4 cables per minute is easily possible but it will cost a lot more than the tester to check 4 conductor modular cables. at a phone store.I have done both. One tester cost about $10, the other one ran about $50,000 by the time the automation was added.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So need to know how many wires you need to check for continuity in the cable, and do you need to determine if there are any shorts between wires?
Also does it need to be fully automated, or can an operator look at the results (say a series of LED indicators).

kttan

Joined Feb 3, 2021
This can be done any of several ways. You only mention continuity? Point to point continuity depends on the line resistance. You do not mention how many lines? The dimple method would be tie all of one end together and MUX (Multiplex) through the other end. This will not tell you if there are any shorted lines. You can MUX both ends and step through but again this will not show shorted lines. What you are asking depends on what you need for test results and exactly what you want to test as to characteristics. Make your self a list of all the parameters you want to test and then a test method for each.

Ron
Is this for ethernet? Sounds like a cable tester. You can make one. I did long ago and created a dongle to put at the far-end with LEDs (1 for each signal wire) so I could see if any crossed.

View attachment 229465

and assembled:

View attachment 229466

I had a cable tester, where the remote end-dongle failed, so I simply made one to replace it.
I hhave created a few such test schemes and programmed them for two years. They were a bit more complex because the were checking automotive wiring harnesses after they were installed in the body, on the instrument panel, and on the engine. But the TS makes no statement as to how many wires in the cable and that has a big effect on the cost and complexity. Also, how many cables? A system to check 50 wire cable cables at 4 cables per minute is easily possible but it will cost a lot more than the tester to check 4 conductor modular cables. at a phone store.I have done both. One tester cost about $10, the other one ran about $50,000 by the time the automation was added.
So need to know how many wires you need to check for continuity in the cable, and do you need to determine if there are any shorts between wires?
Also does it need to be fully automated, or can an operator look at the results (say a series of LED indicators).

Hi All ,

Sorry to mention it will involve around 10 000 wire, the wiring might link to each other .

1. need make sure correct link.
2. need make sure no wrong link.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, now we have information that this is a 10,000 wire cable. That tells me that it is a 5000 pair telephone trunk cable, which normally are quite reliable. It may be that there is a need to check spools of this cable for damage prior to installation. The automated testers used an analog channel for the wires on one end and digitally switched voltage at the other end. The control program would switch on a voltage and verify that the correct voltage appeared only on the correct wire at the other end. The analog inputs only needed 8-bit A/D converters to give adequate accuracy. for the verification.
For testing a cable this large, the connections at the end will be the challenge.