Looking for software to convert logic gates

tbfunk

Joined Dec 9, 2010
So I have sampled quite a lot of software that either deals with logic gate diagrams or circuit diagrams or both, however I am specifically looking for software that I can build a logic diagram in and then have the program convert it into a circuit where I could specify parts to be substituted or even have it suggest parts. Is there a program that does this?

Dieverse

Joined Feb 22, 2016
Well first question, in 2016 exactly why would you do this? They used to have racks full of gates back in the day to make systems that VHDL can do quite easily.... There are videos on youtube showing you how to build an And, Or, Not, Nor, etc gates. For example though just for 1 and / or gate your going to have a transistor and a couple resistors, and your going to end up with a relatively decent sized circuit just to do a very basic function.......If you wanna draw Logic gates and learn VHDL ( which is the way to go ) then an Altera board and Quartus II would be the way. Im not sure there is a program to convert digital logic gates into an analog system. Integrated circuits / VHDL programming would be the way

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I suggest you download Digital Works and simulate what you want to do, I even think there's an up-down counter circuit already included in the examples. This software helped me a lot in the past to learn basic digital electronics, before getting into MCUs.

tbfunk

Joined Dec 9, 2010
Well Dieverse, I am doing this partly to teach myself EE and also because I want to build and design from the ground up devices using only transistors because I like how a circuit board looks populated with hundreds of through hole devices, kinda artsy I guess :D.

Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely check these programs out! Hopefully they are free or easy to obtain ;)

tbfunk

Joined Dec 9, 2010
I am more or less looking to simplify what I already know. I know how to make logic gates using transistors and I know how to program with logic gates. Now I want to make a few complex circuits sans IC's for fun and was wondering if anyone else out there had tools to make the design process take a little less time. All the suggested programs so far either cost money (and hard to pirate) or not exactly what I was looking for (though useful in their own respect). Thank you for the suggestions, I guess I am doing in the long way.

http://ch00ftech.com/2012/06/20/2279/

As I side note I found this circuit recently of a transistor clock that uses the 60hz from household ac mains and was curious to see if I could design something similar without seeing the schematic. I have an unreasonable amount of 2n2222 transistors at my disposal so I figured why not put them to use! It doesnt seem to be that hard to design simple circuits with truth tables and Karnaugh maps.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
So I have sampled quite a lot of software that either deals with logic gate diagrams or circuit diagrams or both, however I am specifically looking for software that I can build a logic diagram in and then have the program convert it into a circuit where I could specify parts to be substituted or even have it suggest parts. Is there a program that does this?
I don't know of any that will suggest which I to use.