Looking for Scientist Forums

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I tend to believe Tesla had a good germ of an idea. The fact that no one has been able to duplicate his exact claims is not good, but there are some excellent economic reasons that even if they did it would never fly. Even if it were duplicated today who is going to pay, how are they going to collect, and more importantly, whose RF reception is going to be trashed? I could see an FCC cease and desist order being issued right after startup of such a service.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 wireless schemes that work, and are legal.

An induction coil under a blotter. This has been used to power "throwies", little LED artworks that will light in the presence of such a field.

A Maser or microwave beam, they have been used to power electric air craft. These experiments were about making high altitude "satellite" stations, covering a wide area. The same microwave beam powering them also had content. Note: this will not work for ground use, as those microwaves could have some serious negative repercussions for people. Society frowns on their fellow citizens dropping dead for no apparent reason.

A LASER/solar cell combo. I've never heard of them being used, but it would work.

MIT has some seriously interesting experiments toward that goal, and it has generated some intense discussions about the nature of RF fields vs. purely electric and magnetic fields. All sides retired without being totally convinced of the others point of view. It still comes up now and again.

All energy comes from somewhere. The sun is the usual source, and it will run down eventually. The analogy I use is if I were to say I drew a pentagram and created a pendent from magic you would call that fantasy. Matter and energy are aspects of the same thing, this has been proven pretty conclusively. Therefore creating energy from nothing is also fantasy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What a Great idea. I got one for my vacuum cleaner and now it runs anywhere in the house with no worry about tripping on the electric cord. I just wish it could put out 440/3PH for my other tools. NB: Read the statement in GREEN.

It's a joke, right?

John

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What a Great idea. I got one for my vacuum cleaner and now it runs anywhere in the house with no worry about tripping on the electric cord. I just wish it could put out 440/3PH for my other tools. NB: Read the statement in GREEN.

It's a joke, right?

John
I think it is a gag gift, but am not positive, the range could be what is shown in the photo. There is massive lack of specs, so I'm leaning toward gag gift, they sell a lot of neat gadgets and gifts.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like the "No suing" next to the price, plus the disclaimer about standing between the transmitter and receiver.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I like that site, got a lot of Christmas presents there, but Ive never seen them advertise something like a real product if its a gag gift...

:unsure:

NEVERMIND
it was only available in the april fools section :)
right next to the unicorn meat :D