Looking for recommendations on parts

chamberskevins

Joined Sep 22, 2022
Hi y'all,

I hope this is the right thread. I'm looking for a recommendation, on a variable speed electronic motor with a shaft. The shaft would need to be able to rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise (i.e. forward and back). I would connect the motor to a wireless remote, so looking for recommendations on that as well. The shaft would be connected to a set of pulleys, that would have a cowhide on it that goes back and forth at different speeds for a horse to work on tracking "cows". I do this to train them in roping, cutting, reining, and such. There are systems out there, but I'm wanting to build my own. Eventually, I'll use the motor on another system (wire drum) to pull a roping sled.

Anyways, I've found some options, I'm just not sure what the best options would be.

Thanks!

KC

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hi y'all,

I hope this is the right thread. I'm looking for a recommendation, on a variable speed electronic motor with a shaft. The shaft would need to be able to rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise (i.e. forward and back). I would connect the motor to a wireless remote, so looking for recommendations on that as well. The shaft would be connected to a set of pulleys, that would have a cowhide on it that goes back and forth at different speeds for a horse to work on tracking "cows". I do this to train them in roping, cutting, reining, and such. There are systems out there, but I'm wanting to build my own. Eventually, I'll use the motor on another system (wire drum) to pull a roping sled.

Anyways, I've found some options, I'm just not sure what the best options would be.

Thanks!

KC
Post some options and let us know what you like/dislike about them so we don't have to reinvent the process. And so we can understand - most here are City Slickers.

chamberskevins

Joined Sep 22, 2022
Post some options and let us know what you like/dislike about them so we don't have to reinvent the process. And so we can understand - most here are City Slickers.
This pretty much hits it on the head of what I'm looking for. How it works and stuff.

Here is what the box looks like.

https://cowtrac.com/cowtracII.html

I like the cowtrac system, just don't want to pay 3k to 5k for everything, when I'm pretty sure I can build it myself.

I was looking at something like this for a motor.

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-AC1...le+speed+electric+motor&qid=1663887051&sr=8-5

But not sure what I would do for a wireless controller.

Here is a video of roping a sled. Normally this is done with an ATV. I don't have an ATV, nor do I have someone to drive one. So the idea would be to hit the go button, the electric motor pulls the sled, and you can rope it. I've got further designs, that will require an Arduino, but want to do a proof of concept.

chamberskevins

Joined Sep 22, 2022
Is there a way I can make vary the speed on the sliding gate? Make is speed up or slow down?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Is there a way I can make vary the speed on the sliding gate? Make is speed up or slow down?
I'm sure their should be a way. I think to make it easier I'd use a DC motor, they are easier to speed control and to forward/reverse. That said I don't think you would find it as a off the shelf item. Seems to me I also saw something like what you want to build on Pinterest. They have quite a big list of things and ways to do them that hit many topics, worth a look.