Looking for ideas for graduation project

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Hi
I'm on the fourth year electrical engineering
Bachelor degree and looking for ideas for my graduation project,and I want to know how to find useful ideas .
I'm not looking for simple ideas like robots or embedded systems, but for something can do some improvements in any field of electricity or control systems.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Pull from your own personal experience.

Have you ever seen some gadget that you thought could be improved or saw a problem that a gadget could solve?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Why not research something fundamental. Construct a jig for adjustable air gap capacitor plates.

Make the plates round......and the jig to rotate the plates independently. The faster the better. 10,000 rpm minimum. Make a series of plates that have a surface area ratio from 1 to 1 to 1 to 1000. 1 to 300 minimum.

Using a variety of test signals.......measure the difference changing the size ratio. Then rotate one plate and check for difference. The rotate both plates. try different speeds. Both plates going in opposite directions. Different directions with different size plates.

We want to compare the effects of area or density and the effects of rotation. You could even sync some frequencies to the rotation and look for possible effects.

Go after it like Ampere or Weber would.

BelleFixer

Joined Jul 21, 2016
Hi
I'm on the fourth year electrical engineering
Bachelor degree and looking for ideas for my graduation project,and I want to know how to find useful ideas .
I'm not looking for simple ideas like robots or embedded systems, but for something can do some improvements in any field of electricity or control systems.
How about a "self-switching power supply"? I saw this from the lists of electrical engineering project ideas.

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Why not research something fundamental. Construct a jig for adjustable air gap capacitor plates.

Make the plates round......and the jig to rotate the plates independently. The faster the better. 10,000 rpm minimum. Make a series of plates that have a surface area ratio from 1 to 1 to 1 to 1000. 1 to 300 minimum.

Using a variety of test signals.......measure the difference changing the size ratio. Then rotate one plate and check for difference. The rotate both plates. try different speeds. Both plates going in opposite directions. Different directions with different size plates.

We want to compare the effects of area or density and the effects of rotation. You could even sync some frequencies to the rotation and look for possible effects.

Go after it like Ampere or Weber would.
The plates will rotate continuously, or only when we want to change the capacitance?

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
How about a "self-switching power supply"? I saw this from the lists of electrical engineering project ideas.
A self switching power supply is power supply that turns on when the load is connected and turns off when the load is disconnected, what improvements can I do?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Graduation project... With the envy of having all the fresh knowledge under your hair...
It would be nice to design a system/experiment on how to measure the propagation speed of gravity... Not joking.

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
Do something with a solar panel and either a street light or house light that is very cheap and affordable in 3rd world countries. I know a lot has already been done and they are training girls to run wiring from panels in whole villages and something like this can be added to.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"The plates will rotate continuously, or only when we want to change the capacitance?"

That's what your gonna find out.

If you want to solve a big fundamental problem look at energy storage...
Batteries are inefficiant and the chemestry of most leaves a great deal to be desired. On top of which construction is costly...
Capacitors on the other hand are relativly easy to make...

Watch a few of these and then look at using deep eutectic solvents as an electrolyte...

Of course just about anything that needs a battery isn't going to like the ever decreesing voltage a capacitor would supply and to optimise energy density you would want to store high voltage and run your device on low voltage...

How about a completly new take on power supplies, something that detects a devices requirements based on a simply implemented interface, will charge from a wide range of power sources and could be packaged in a standardised form, much like a battery.

Imagine every device you have taking the same battery, at least the same implimentation of a PSU in whatever form factor and capacity.
Devices could simply be specified with a minimum wattage, and devices that charge wouldn't even need that.
Go for something like a jule thief but make it work from a few mV to tens or even hundrerds of volts and then package it as a simple plug in cell
You could even impliment some sort of contactless interface QI style but way more efficient...

Get that right and you change the world not just your future.

Good luck whatever you choose,
Al