Looking for freelance circuit designer

Prestyman

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for your quick responses! First, please understand that as a magician, I tend to look at things from a mechanical logic. The reason I'm prefacing it that way, is that I currently have a working version of what I want, but it's a very poor design. But it does work!!

Here's what it is. I have two modules that I need to communicate to each other. One is a RF receiver, with eight pins, the other an MP3 player also with eight pins. To be clear, they each have more than eight pins, but for the purpose of explanation it's only the eight that matter.

On the MP3 module, the eight pins are triggers for instant access to a track in that memory slot. Quite simply, if I touch the ground wire to one of the pins, it plays a sound effect at that track number.

On the RF receiver, each of the pins go HIGH when the corresponding button is pushed on the remote (transmitter). i.e. Hit button "one" on the remote and pin 1 goes high.

So I need these two things to work together. I need a circuit that will connect the appropriate pin to ground, when the other pin goes high. So I could push "one" on the remote, and track one will play on the MP3 module. Make sense?

So here's the part where you'll laugh. i have it working perfectly... using 8 relays! hey it works... now I just want it to work properly. And cheaper. And faster. etc.

Thanks,
Clinton
A Vancouver Magician

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey prestyman,
No your ideas won't work. In order to find out the most efficient way to do your stunt, please PM me. Of course, after you have sent me 5000USD. I rate @ $120/HR., plus $250 per diem.
Dan

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Hold on, wouldn't a hex inverter do what I need? Something like a IC 7404?
Each chip package has six inverters. If you want access to more than six tracks, you'll need two 7404s.

You might also consider the 4049, a CMOS version of the 7404. It uses less power. (Less power allows for tinier batteries without sacrificing run time.)

At no time did my fingers leave my wrists.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Each chip package has six inverters. If you want access to more than six tracks, you'll need two 7404s.

You might also consider the 4049, a CMOS version of the 7404. It uses less power. (Less power allows for tinier batteries without sacrificing run time.)

At no time did my fingers leave my wrists.
The 40106 would be more reliable. It has Schmitt-trigger inputs, unlike the 4049. It will also work from around 3v-16v.

In a pinch, 4093's (one of my favorite CMOS logic devices) could be pressed into service, by wiring the input pairs together. Since 8 inverters are needed, two 4093's could be used as easily as two 40106's, but likely less expensively.

Prestyman

Joined Nov 14, 2008
The 40106 would be more reliable. It has Schmitt-trigger inputs, unlike the 4049. It will also work from around 3v-16v.

In a pinch, 4093's (one of my favorite CMOS logic devices) could be pressed into service, by wiring the input pairs together. Since 8 inverters are needed, two 4093's could be used as easily as two 40106's, but likely less expensively.

Am I/we on the right track. Is this basically the best way to do this. Someone was explaining transistors and AND logic, so I thought this was the best way.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Am I serious? Golly-gee right I'm serious. You have a device that works "perfectly". Now you want to up-grade it. Guess my answer. That'll be $5000.
Dan

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Am I serious? Golly-gee right I'm serious. You have a device that works "perfectly". Now you want to up-grade it. Guess my answer. That'll be $5000.
Dan
He used some relays to switch a signal. We're showing him how to do that with some semiconductor devices instead. Hardly justifies 5000$ , give me a break. Let's not take advantage of people's lack of knowledge when they ask for help!

Steve

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
And I will expect AAC to take 20% commission in any deal.

Discuss the electronics. Commercial endeavours should be dealt with elsewhere. Thank you.

Dave