Looking for differential pressure sensor with interrupt on certain pressure

Prof_Sims

Joined Dec 18, 2016
Hello everybody,

I'm currently looking to add a differential pressure sensor on a design. Problem is: this differential pressure sensor is supposed to detect violent overpressures ( 200mbars) and I don't really care about it the rest of the time.
I chewed catalogs from Farnell, Honeywell and consorts and non of them seem to propose such a function (interrupt on certain level of pressure).
I would like to know, if this kind of sensor exist. Even with lower pressure performances.

Thank you,

Simon

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you identified any sensors that fit your needs except for the interrupt? If so, it would seem easy to add a small MCU that would read the output and create an interrupt under whatever condition you specify.

Ajith-N

Joined Sep 14, 2020
Have you identified any sensors that fit your needs except for the interrupt? If so, it would seem easy to add a small MCU that would read the output and create an interrupt under whatever condition you specify.
I would go with this line of thinking. Probably no such 'interrupting differential pressure sensor' exists.

But istead of an MCU (which will require code to be injected etc), you can think of feeding the sensor output (analog) to a comparator with a small amount of hysteresis (+ve feedback added). The threshold voltage can be set to your desired threshold, e.g. with a resistor divider or other Vref.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Problem is: this differential pressure sensor is supposed to detect violent overpressures ( 200mbars) and I don't really care about it the rest of the time.
Since you worded it "violent" I assume you want to detect sharp pressure spikes. You may want to look at things like spike duration and response time of the sensor. Quality pressure sensors, should include, in their data sheets, a response time. You decide what that maximum response time should be. Also consider the operating environment in your decision. Then decide what exactly should happen if a pressure spike is detected.

I doubt you will find a sensor setup off the shelf to do what you wish to do. You choose a sensor with the right range for what you want be it an analog or digital output and then you add something to decide what to do, be it a simple comparator or a micro controller solution.

Ron