Looking for cheap efficient ~3.7V to 5V DC converter

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
There is a Bluetooth receiver in my circuit that has noise caused by a ground loop, so I got a digital isolator (MEU1S0505ZC) to fix this problem. The problem with this isolator is that the minimum input voltage is 4.5V, and I'm using a 3.7V Li-ion battery for my project. (Although the nominal voltage of the battery is 3.7V, it can actually range from around 3.2-4.2V depending on how much it is charged.)

In order to boost the input voltage of the isolator to 5V, I also got the TPS81256 chip which efficiently converts 2.5-4.85V DC to 5V. However, I was dumb and didn't realize that this chip is MicroSiP sized until it came in the mail. This makes it useless for me because it's too small to solder wires to.

I'm having difficulty finding a good alternative DC-DC converter. There are cheap Chinese boards on eBay that are not very efficient (<80%), and expensive (>$20) boards that contain efficient chips in a form that is large enough for me to use. Is there a cheap efficient converter I could use in DIP form or something similar that could convert 3-4.5V DC to 5V?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
There is a Bluetooth receiver in my circuit that has noise caused by a ground loop, so I got a digital isolator (MEU1S0505ZC) to fix this problem. The problem with this isolator is that the minimum input voltage is 4.5V, and I'm using a 3.7V Li-ion battery for my project. (Although the nominal voltage of the battery is 3.7V, it can actually range from around 3.2-4.2V depending on how much it is charged.)

In order to boost the input voltage of the isolator to 5V, I also got the TPS81256 chip which efficiently converts 2.5-4.85V DC to 5V. However, I was dumb and didn't realize that this chip is MicroSiP sized until it came in the mail. This makes it useless for me because it's too small to solder wires to.

I'm having difficulty finding a good alternative DC-DC converter. There are cheap Chinese boards on eBay that are not very efficient (<80%), and expensive (>$20) boards that contain efficient chips in a form that is large enough for me to use. Is there a cheap efficient converter I could use in DIP form or something similar that could convert 3-4.5V DC to 5V?
Like these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3V-5V-DC...hash=item2cc5514ac5:m:mDY-vSHscoLlLJuNrlR6IPA