Looking for Audio Components

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
For Christmas, I want to complete my daughters "component" stereo system.

She's got an amp/tuner that accepts Bluetooth connections. Currently, the only Bluetooth connected component she has is a turntable.

I'm trying to find a similar CD player and cassette deck (or combination), but I've not had much luck.

I don't mind paying extra for quality, so please, no $29 Amazon stuff.

BTW, the amp does have RCA audio inputs, but I'd prefer to stick to wireless, if possible.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
For Christmas, I want to complete my daughters "component" stereo system.

She's got an amp/tuner that accepts Bluetooth connections. Currently, the only Bluetooth connected component she has is a turntable.

I'm trying to find a similar CD player and cassette deck (or combination), but I've not had much luck.

I don't mind paying extra for quality, so please, no $29 Amazon stuff.

BTW, the amp does have RCA audio inputs, but I'd prefer to stick to wireless, if possible.
Getting a quality home unit with Bluetooth seems to be a issue. You can pick budget, or audiophile but there seems to little in the middle.
On the higher end there are systems designed for Karaoke like this with wired connections.
https://www.amazon.com/Teac-Ad-850-Cassette-USB-Recorder-Karaoke/dp/B073R46MDF

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Getting a quality home unit with Bluetooth seems to be a issue. You can pick budget, or audiophile but there seems to little in the middle.
On the higher end there are systems designed for Karaoke like this with wired connections.
https://www.amazon.com/Teac-Ad-850-Cassette-USB-Recorder-Karaoke/dp/B073R46MDF
I miss the pre-streaming days when one could buy decent stuff without breaking the bank.

If I had known component stereo would disappear, I'd never have gotten rid of my 1985 Fisher rack system when the 18 in. woofers disintegrated.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have considered adding Bluetooth to some of our rack gear and speakers... I already have good equipment with sound surround capability but wiring it is an issue and would be absolutely necessary if I ever wanted to use the channel 2 remote jacks. As it sits now, I have no surround due to rear speakers not being wired in. That or hire a contractor to install wiring in the walls which is not a good solution...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have considered adding Bluetooth to some of our rack gear and speakers... I already have good equipment with sound surround capability but wiring it is an issue and would be absolutely necessary if I ever wanted to use the channel 2 remote jacks. As it sits now, I have no surround due to rear speakers not being wired in. That or hire a contractor to install wiring in the walls which is not a good solution...
How hard is a little wiring?
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/ht-old-home-theater-rebuild.183659/post-1697075

I still have one of the old component stereo sets.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
AliExpress has Bluetooth transmitters and receivers. They are inexpensive but the quality of the sound is good. They are powered by plugging into a USB power source. The audio is connected using a 3.5mm stereo jack.
You will need one for each music source, configured as a transmitter, and a USB 5V supply.

USBbt.jpg

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I miss the pre-streaming days when one could buy decent stuff without breaking the bank.
Seriously? I just bought a bluetooth amp with 50+50W output (and a 24V power supply that can actually produce that) for $33. It is about 2x2x1 inches (excluding power brick.) The sound is excellent.

No, I don’t want to go back to when it would cost 10 times that and be 18x12x6 inches, and serve double duty as a space heater.

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
If DVD or Blu-Ray is also acceptable that would give you much more options for a CD compatible device, with bluetooth.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It is connected to Klipschorn soeakers. The sound is excellent.
Excellent. With modern electronics being so good even on the cheap end, The Room and Speakers are what make the difference between OK and great sound.

With a crappy Room, the best equipment will sound like sheet, with a good room, even a boom-box will sound good.

My current media room was rebuilt for great sound.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Excellent. With modern electronics being so good even on the cheap end, The Room and Speakers are what make the difference between OK and great sound.

With a crappy Room, the best equipment will sound like sheet, with a good room, even a boom-box will sound good.

My current media room was rebuilt for great sound.
Walls are non-linear. If you raise the volume loud enough, you can overcome their deficiencies.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not to be the turd in the punch bowl, but CD and cassette are effectively dead technologies. I'd be reluctant to invest any money in keeping them going. My CD and tape players are all in the basement “museum”.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not to be the turd in the punch bowl, but CD and cassette are effectively dead technologies. I'd be reluctant to invest any money in keeping them going. My CD and tape players are all in the basement “museum”.
My daughter is getting deep into retro. It's likely a passing fad, but I don't mind sharing past experiences with her.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I remember when they said that about records. ;)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I remember when they said that about records. ;)
She's built a pretty nice vinyl collection. I've got an attic full of cassettes and mom's got an even larger collection of CD's.

I like handling music. It adds another dimension to the process of enjoying it.