Looking for analog VGA to Digital converter IC

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
Now I'm seeking an analog VGA digitizer/converter IC.
INPUT: Analog VGA 640*480
OUTPUT: 8-bit RGB+HSync+VSync+DCLK+DE or LVDS
DE(DataEnable) is required. Many ICs do not have a DE signal output. I don't know of any technique to generate a DE signal from another signal. If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sure. You map the VGA data into a RAM array large enough to hold a frame, then pass the memory to another process that takes the RAM data and outputs it in whatever digital format you require. What is your budget for a complete solution?

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Last edited:

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
Thank you everyone.

The project I'm involved in does not have a generous budget. I am looking into all Analog Devices products. The most promising model is ADV7186, but the FAE in my country refuses to provide the detailed datasheet even though this model is available. I don't know why. I don't have detailed documentation for the ADV7186, so I don't know the specifications of the VGA input.

I am now considering using the AD9984A. Since this model does not have a DE output pin, I am considering using the HSYNC signal to create a DE signal. I'm wondering if this feature could be achieved with the Lattice XO2-1200HC.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you everyone.

The project I'm involved in does not have a generous budget. I am looking into all Analog Devices products. The most promising model is ADV7186, but the FAE in my country refuses to provide the detailed datasheet even though this model is available. I don't know why. I don't have detailed documentation for the ADV7186, so I don't know the specifications of the VGA input.

I am now considering using the AD9984A. Since this model does not have a DE output pin, I am considering using the HSYNC signal to create a DE signal. I'm wondering if this feature could be achieved with the Lattice XO2-1200HC.
A possible reason for his refusal to provide information is US Export regulations. Another poster on this forum is unable to get the latest Xilinx development tools and parts for this exact reason. If I can find a link, I'll update this post.

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
The ADV7186 is the most powerful device that will almost certainly solve the problems that my customers are having. If I could, I would move to the US to get the datasheet.

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
As you all know, the VGA port has been discontinued. At the same time, many VGA input LCD panels have also been discontinued.
However, there are many machines in the world that use LCD monitors with VGA input. Users who cannot update their old machines in the bad economy need to buy new LCD panels that sometimes fail.

This is why we need a VGA input converter to connect to LCD monitors with different input formats. Furthermore, converter ICs that can provide VGA input, such as the RTD2660, are no longer in production and cannot be newly adopted for retrofit projects.

If an optimal device does not exist, then we need to use the devices currently available to achieve image conversions that would have been possible in the past.

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
Analog Devices has a number of HDMI receivers in their lineup. Some of these devices fit my needs, but I need to be qualified as an HDMI adopter to use them. I'm checking the specifications of ADV7401 now. It has RGB graphics input, SDR RGB/HSYNC/VSYNC/DE output.

Though this DE signal is designed for HDMI interface, I'm worried about that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
the VGA port has been discontinued. At the same time, many VGA input LCD panels have also been discontinued.
This is why we need a VGA input converter to connect to LCD monitors with different input formats.
So you are saying there are still a lot of computers out there than operate with a only a 640 x 480 resolution?
I haven't seen a computer like that in at least 20 years.

I expect you would want a converter that handles resolutions much higher than that.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is not uncommon for machines to be designed to last an order of magnitude longer than the average computer. They all eventually run into the same problem, that they must be redesigned or retrofitted every 20 years or so. Looks like the venerable B-52 may reach it's 100th birthday because the government can spend unlimited amounts on this project; the cost of the alternatives must certainly be higher.

Would it not be cheaper to redesign the module that creates output for a display to a more modern configuration?

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
The device with VGA output that users have is not a home computer. They are display devices that are used only in very narrow industries, such as the operation panels of huge machine tools or, for example, amusement devices. Some of them are expensive devices developed by peers who have put their money together. They can't afford to redesign a custom LSI with built-in VGA output capability just because their LCD display failed. These industries traditionally use 7" LCDs and do not require high resolution.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The device with VGA output that users have is not a home computer. They are display devices that are used only in very narrow industries, such as the operation panels of huge machine tools or, for example, amusement devices. Some of them are expensive devices developed by peers who have put their money together. They can't afford to redesign a custom LSI with built-in VGA output capability just because their LCD display failed. These industries traditionally use 7" LCDs and do not require high resolution.
All of that is irrelevant if the solution you seek is not available at any price. It will be cheaper to design a new solution, that is if you can design one.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've used mobile 7/8" LCD screens with a VGA scan converter for older process equipment. It's just about impossible to buy commercial smaller screens but products from the 12VDC mobile market can easily be modified into something usable if you're willing to make a few modifications to make them compatible to the process OEM specifications.
https://www.eyoyousa.com/eyoyo-s801...c-cctv-home-security-with-mount-p00215p1.html

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Analog Devices has a number of HDMI receivers in their lineup. Some of these devices fit my needs, but I need to be qualified as an HDMI adopter to use them. I'm checking the specifications of ADV7401 now. It has RGB graphics input, SDR RGB/HSYNC/VSYNC/DE output.

Though this DE signal is designed for HDMI interface, I'm worried about that.
Are you aiming to sell these ?
Are you selling them as having HDMI ?,

Any one can purchase the chips, I understand it that its only if you want to offer a HDMI interface, that you have to pay the licence fee.

tyro01

Joined May 20, 2021
I do not plan to use the HDMI interface. It's just that the IC with the necessary functions also had an HDMI interface. The ADV7401 does not have an HDMI interface, yet it still meets the requirements. I will not be able to meet the deadline for my current project, but I plan to start prototyping with this IC in preparation for the next order.

If I don't need to pay a license fee when I don't use the HDMI interface, that would be appreciated.