Looking for advice on converting motion sensor light to infrared light

Schmitty

Joined May 14, 2020
Hello! Like the title says I'm looking for some help, my goal is to extend the range of my infrared doorbell camera just a little bit (15ft).

I've removed my battery powered motion sensor light and replaced the original led board with an infrared LED, link to IR LED below.

New IR LED needs 1.5V, 1.5A,
Power from board, 4.50V, 0.57A

What would be the best way to do this? I'm as new as it gets with.. circuitry? Just bought my first multi meter today and my battery powered pocket soldering tool didn't work so I used a butane torch, just to give you an idea haha.. thanks in advance!!!

Pictures of board and IR led, also link to IR LED. https://bit.ly/2zIPCIk

light.jpgIR led.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have been given two of those"cold heat" soldering devices and they are totally worthless and not suitable for work on any electrical project. And while the propane fired soldering iron is interesting most of them are way too hot for electronics work.
Having a high powered IR LED illumination for your doorbell camera is an interesting concept, but if you power it constantly the life without a suitable heat sink will be rather short. Switching it on with the motion sensor may work, if the motion sensor is still functional without that very special lens it had.
And the camera will probably be ot of focus at that distance as well.

Schmitty

Joined May 14, 2020
Oh did I must've left out the torch has no tip, its just a butane flame melting everything haha, mostly for soldering wires together, basically a fine tipped heat gun.

The original LED had an aluminum base similar to the new one, the light rarely goes on so it should be okay unless the bunny population goes up again. As for the lens, domed light reflector and opaque honeycomb cover for the motion sensor are still there, the door bell camera has unlimited focus, seeing the trees and road across the street 40ish ft away aren't an issue.

But what might be an issue, using this calculator "http://energyusecalculator.com/watts_volts_amps_ohms.htm?" the rated watts for my IR LED is 2.25 watts (1.5V, 1.5A) not necessarily powerful unless electromagnetic radiation needs less power to show up on cameras?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Oh did I must've left out the torch has no tip, its just a butane flame melting everything haha, mostly for soldering wires together, basically a fine tipped heat gun.

The original LED had an aluminum base similar to the new one, the light rarely goes on so it should be okay unless the bunny population goes up again. As for the lens, domed light reflector and opaque honeycomb cover for the motion sensor are still there, the door bell camera has unlimited focus, seeing the trees and road across the street 40ish ft away aren't an issue.

But what might be an issue, using this calculator "http://energyusecalculator.com/watts_volts_amps_ohms.htm?" the rated watts for my IR LED is 2.25 watts (1.5V, 1.5A) not necessarily powerful unless electromagnetic radiation needs less power to show up on cameras?
2.25 watts in a very small area while the previous LED board had several LEDs , spreading the heat over more area. Heat is still a problem with LEDs. You can use the output of the board to drive a transistor switch and that could work well.2 amp transistors are fairly cheap.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I believe the TS (Thread Starter) wants to use the IR LED for night vision instead of the standard light from the original LED. But @swr999 raises an interesting point; whether the IR from the IR LED will confuse the PIR.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Here's something I have absolutely no knowledge on - but I think I saw someone say (in print) that IR light waves have to be matched to the IR camera.