Looking for advice concerning a broken music server DAC

dkapeller

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Hello,
I'm reaching out to this forum hoping to find advice concerning my Olive HD03 music server/DAC/ripper/storage unit. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but the Olive company made a wonderful product, then disappeared from the planet. My unit is now somewhat broken, and the is no support available. I'm wondering if this unit has any useful future, even if it is parted out into a useful DAC or something. Without guidance, it's off to the Goodwill or landfill. Thanks in advance for any help or for pointing me in a better direction or another forum.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Pictures would help, and any identifying model numbers. It could have a standard ITX motherboard, or a tiny industrial board like in a point-of-sale terminal. Might be bad caps in the power supply or motherboard, could be the hard drive is failing, or just needs to be wiped and the OS and software reinstalled.

dkapeller

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Pictures would help, and any identifying model numbers. It could have a standard ITX motherboard, or a tiny industrial board like in a point-of-sale terminal. Might be bad caps in the power supply or motherboard, could be the hard drive is failing, or just needs to be wiped and the OS and software reinstalled.
I'll need to get a vandal proof allen key tool to open the case. I'll post photos tomorrow. Are you interested in this for parts or salvage? I'm mostly looking for a good home for it.

dkapeller

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Here's a peek inside the case. The issue is intermittent problems with the touch screen. A hard shut down sometimes fixes the problem, sometimes not. The unit is also controlled via the internet and an app on the iPad. It has no Bluetooth, and must be hardwired to internet. To repeat from above, I don't think I have the skills to repair this myself. I'm mostly looking for a good home to donate this to.

Attachments

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Sorry for the slow response. The power supply caps look ok.
It looks like a thing I would definitely pick up off the side of the road, but I'm not sure I'd pay much for it at a thrift store. Maybe it could be updated with a Raspberry Pi inside, maybe just strip it for parts.