Looking for a SSR to trigger a signal

MichiganWolverine5974

Joined May 13, 2015
I am looking to use a SSR to trigger an output signal to a 24v light. The signal is coming from a PC. It is a 5v digital output signal and that signal has a current drive of +/- 5mA. Most SSRs I could find require at least 15mA. Is there a SSR out there that will work for this application? Below is the link to one I was looking at, but it looks like it requires a 15mA current drive. TIA for your help!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMtq49AUx5G37/Kb9mP7Eth6PajLcLdw38s=

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi M597,
What is the PC type.? 5mA seems a little low.
E

EDIT:

Looking at SSR datasheet it states the device can be triggered by a voltage as low as 3V.
So a simple transistor emitter follower could deliver the 15mA at 4.3v.
E

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I am looking to use a SSR to trigger an output signal to a 24v light. The signal is coming from a PC. It is a 5v digital output signal and that signal has a current drive of +/- 5mA. Most SSRs I could find require at least 15mA. Is there a SSR out there that will work for this application? Below is the link to one I was looking at, but it looks like it requires a 15mA current drive. TIA for your help!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Crydom/DRA4-MCX240D5?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtq49AUx5G37/Kb9mP7Eth6PajLcLdw38s=
5V input SSRs aren't hard to find - most mains types are triac output, so will only work if your lamp is using AC.

There are DIL 8 optos for telecoms applications with inverse series pair MOSFET output. they can handle a fair but of current, but I can't remember how much.

an SSR is pretty much opto-zilla.

MichiganWolverine5974

Joined May 13, 2015
hi M597,
What is the PC type.? 5mA seems a little low.
E

EDIT:

Looking at SSR datasheet it states the device can be triggered by a voltage as low as 3V.
So a simple transistor emitter follower could deliver the 15mA at 4.3v.
E
It is a digital out 5v signal from a national instruments software card. I'd ideally like to tie the digital 5v signal directly into the relay without any other circuit or power supplies. Then just have the relay switch between two lights dependent if the signal is 5v or 0v. But again, I am just worried there isn't enough current output from the NI card to activate the SSR/Relay/Opto.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You could use an opto isolator and amplify the signal on the output side The design would depend on weather the 24 volts was AC or DC. (Which you have not told us which it is. Also you have not specified the lamp current.)

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014

MichiganWolverine5974

Joined May 13, 2015
Sorry for not being completely detailed. So the lights are being controlled by a 24vdc power supply. I am not worried about the output side, as the lights will power dependent on whether the relay is NO or NC. I am just concerned with the signal into the relay or SSR I want to use. I hope this clears it up.

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I hope you all enjoy your weekend!

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Sorry for not being completely detailed. So the lights are being controlled by a 24vdc power supply. I am not worried about the output side, as the lights will power dependent on whether the relay is NO or NC. I am just concerned with the signal into the relay or SSR I want to use. I hope this clears it up.

Thank you again everyone for all your help. I hope you all enjoy your weekend!
Still not following clearly on your load requirements. Are you saying that the current for the lights won't be running through the SSR you seek? Is it that the SSR is just switching a signal level control which tells the lighting power supply whether or not to be active?

The amount of current to be run through the load side of the SSR matters. We can't recommend an SSR without knowing it (or at least a ballpark range.)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Would there be any reason you can't just use a MOSFET? Using a Logic Level MOSFET you can drive a relay or for that matter the lights themselves.

Ron