Looking for a small wiper DC motor

neowebmedia

Joined Feb 25, 2019
It would help to know how big you expect the flag to be and how much current we’re working with. Voltage just isn’t enough information to know how much work we are doing. If you are talking about the 5V from, say, an Arduino, that’s not going to get you much. Or, from a USB port, well, same there. So, what’s the story with the size and power supply?
I want to power it with a little solar panel and 3 AA backup batteries.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As usual, a project is started at the wrong end, the motor comes last, decide what the mechanical and physical dimensions and constraints are in order to calculate inertia etc, and THen the motor can be chosen.!!;)
With 3 AA cells you are not going to get much in the way anything of any decent size.
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As usual, a project is started at the wrong end, the motor comes last, decide what the mechanical and physical dimensions and constraints are in order to calculate inertia etc, and THen the motor can be chosen.!!;)
With 3 AA cells you are not going to get much in the way anything of any decent size.
Max.

Assuming a small mass, I think you might be able to do something with a pendulum, a magnet, and coil instead of a motor.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
From practical experience, having built a similar project wrt the mechanics of a waving flag running off of 5V, a 3”x3” flag on a 12” arm is possible, as mentioned in this post.

But we don’t know the desired flag size as many of us are noted.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Interesting but how I can use this motor for moving a flag (like a wiper)? See the attached file. Thank you.
How big is the flag and how long is it’s arm?

I also can interpret your diagram in one of two ways. 1) It’s not to any scale, as the angle in the diagram is much smaller than 160°. 160° is almost a straight line; the flag would go from almost pointing left to almost pointing right in one cycle. Or 2) your 160° requirement is actually closer to 60° and 160 is a typo.

So what is it?