Looking for a schematic showing how to hook a wireless rocket launch controller

Duggyhow

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Hi folks, can someone please provide me with a schematic of a wireless rocket launch controller using a 1-4 channel rf module? Thanks a lot.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Do you want the schematic for a commercial unit that you have in mind but which remains unnamed? Were you hoping that some generous soul had one lying around that he didn't need anymore? Maybe someone will just design it for you. I think you will agree that more information would be helpful.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You don't mention the voltage / current for the starters you are using. Estes Model Rocket Starters are popular. Helps to know the igniter you plan to use and the current. For simple start I would look at a 4 Channel Key Fob relay board. Amazon has a good and inexpensive selection which would serve as a starting point. The voltage and current of your igniters would dictate what else, if anything else is needed. and then a drawing can be done.

Ron

Duggyhow

Joined Sep 8, 2017
You don't mention the voltage / current for the starters you are using. Estes Model Rocket Starters are popular. Helps to know the igniter you plan to use and the current. For simple start I would look at a 4 Channel Key Fob relay board. Amazon has a good and inexpensive selection which would serve as a starting point. The voltage and current of your igniters would dictate what else, if anything else is needed. and then a drawing can be done.

Ron
Hi, I'd like to use the Estes igniters using 12v. I have figured one out. I'm now just trying figure out how to ignite and do a continuity check with the same pair of leads. Anyone how that can be done? Thanks.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A Learning Guide for Model Rocket Launch Systems by Estes is a short and pretty good read on the subject. Page 7 of the linked PDF shows a basic drawing of how igniters can be tested. While pretty crude and simple this is one way to check the continuity of an igniter. More elaborate systems could easily be designed around that basic concept. All they are doing is placing a small incandescent lamp in series with the igniter. That lamp limits the igniter current to a safe level making sure the igniter can't get hot enough to ignite. The launch switch will bypass the lamp allowing full current flow to the igniter. Only two wires run to the rocket and igniter. Pretty simplistic and effective in how it works.

If we wanted to get more technical the incandescent lamp could be replaced by a LED and if we wish an Opto-Coupler could be used. The idea of an opto coupler could be developed upon once we knew the resistance of the igniter.

Ron

Duggyhow

Joined Sep 8, 2017
A Learning Guide for Model Rocket Launch Systems by Estes is a short and pretty good read on the subject. Page 7 of the linked PDF shows a basic drawing of how igniters can be tested. While pretty crude and simple this is one way to check the continuity of an igniter. More elaborate systems could easily be designed around that basic concept. All they are doing is placing a small incandescent lamp in series with the igniter. That lamp limits the igniter current to a safe level making sure the igniter can't get hot enough to ignite. The launch switch will bypass the lamp allowing full current flow to the igniter. Only two wires run to the rocket and igniter. Pretty simplistic and effective in how it works.

If we wanted to get more technical the incandescent lamp could be replaced by a LED and if we wish an Opto-Coupler could be used. The idea of an opto coupler could be developed upon once we knew the resistance of the igniter.

Ron
Hi Ron, so how would I do this with a wireless controller. I can do a check with what I have built but I’m trying to be able to do away with one pair of leads.
I’m using 2 pair of leads, one for testing igniter and one pair for ignition. How do u fire and test with the same pair of leads? Can I please have a schematic of this? Thanks.

Duggyhow

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Hi Ron, so how would I do this with a wireless controller. I can do a check with what I have built but I’m trying to be able to do away with one pair of leads.
I’m using 2 pair of leads, one for testing igniter and one pair for ignition. How do u fire and test with the same pair of leads? Can I please have a schematic of this? Thanks.
Ron, I am using an rf module for my wireless setup. It’s like a garage door opener. When I push the button on the remote, it closes the relay which ignites the igniter.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Let me think about this. Using a remote transmitter and a relay closure to launch is relatively easy, the problem becomes the system is duplex in that you need to transmit the Igniter OK from the rocket site to a remote location and from the remote location to the rocket site to launch.

Ron