Looking for a cheap 3 phase generator setup

Rich:-)

Joined Oct 14, 2016
I'm looking for something that can output power of approx 200 Watts but could live with more or less. It's to build a tester.

Can you suggest any everyday items that I might find one of these in?
I guess it's the sort of thing that anyone looking to build a homebrew wind turbine might also seek.
Are there any motor types that could serve as a 3 phase generator?
I'm actually looking for a motor/generator pair really (one to drive the other), though the motor must be single phase.

So, any idea please?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Any 3-phase motor that I have used can act as a 3-phase generator. That is how I run my 3-phase machines. You can belt drive the 3-phase motor, or run it on single phase. (I use capacitors to start it; some people just kick a pulley on the shaft.) Look up rotary phase converters.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I'm looking for something that can output power of approx 200 Watts but could live with more or less. It's to build a tester.

Can you suggest any everyday items that I might find one of these in?
I guess it's the sort of thing that anyone looking to build a homebrew wind turbine might also seek.
Are there any motor types that could serve as a 3 phase generator?
I'm actually looking for a motor/generator pair really (one to drive the other), though the motor must be single phase.

So, any idea please?
Google 3 phase inverter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If just needing to generate 3ph from 1ph, why not use a small cheap VFD, it can be set for precisly 50hz/60hz.
No moving parts.!
Max.

Rich:-)

Joined Oct 14, 2016
Ah, thinking about it I'd really need a low voltage output, around 75V AC as max rpm. So it's a low voltage high current generator.
Also I'd really like it to be coil generated so I don't have to fear damaging any semi-conductor components.