Looking for a basic guide with "practical potential"

pino801

Joined Nov 30, 2016
hi everyone,

I want to build a custom designed mini-itx pc case with built-in speakers and a stepper motor operated component (a bar which rotates and gives access to the dvd player).

This means I guess that the same power supply unit not only has to deliver power to the motherboard and its components, but to the amplifier and the stepper motor as well.

and of course I don't want to use different power suppliers or adapters, but just one.

And I was thinking an internal adapter, not a "laptop" brick: I had in mind something like this kind of product.
as you may understand lots of question arise for me now:

-how can I connect more than one unit to the external output of the psu?
-how can I understand how the external output element work?
-can I soldier my cables to that? how do I do this correctly?
-how do I choose the right voltage which to fit for all the elements I need?

as you can see my questions require both a theorical knowledge, but also a "procedural" one, a more practical one.

I don't want -in case- someone feeding me and dictating the steps of the process. I want to learn them myself and understand fully.
So my question is: where do I start?

can you provide me a good starting point which does not take me months of boring concepts to start grasping something?

otherwise I would resume my physics book from high school and start from there .. :)

I know what voltage, ampere and watts mean. I know some definitions and concepts and I could easily learn more and read more in a few minutes, but I am afraid this wouldn't help in choosing the right components: I guess this doesn't tell me how a specific ampli or a given component draws power from the psu, and all the like

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You can connect two devices to the same power supply as long as it can deliver the current required by both of them. Just like you can plug two lamps into one socket in your house.

Bob