Looking for 4-function calculators that know order of operations.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A local homeschool team has made it to the National Science Olympiad next month. For some events they are allowed to use a four-function (or five-function that includes sqrt) calculator and it would be very useful if that calculator applied order of operations. I don't know of any that do. Does anyone here know of one? A brand name and model would be most appreciated -- a link to where it can be purchased would be great. It has to be a physical calculator, so please don't suggest online calculators or phone apps.

TIA

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do you mean it uses parentheses?
No. There can't be parentheses keys as those would be considered more than a four-function calculator.

I mean that if you enter the following:

1 * 2 + 3 * 4 + 5 * 6 =

The answer that will be returned is 44 because the calculator applies the rule that multiplication takes precedence over addition, so this is performed as

(1 * 2) + (3 * 4) + (5 * 6) = 44

This is what will happen on virtually every scientific calculator, because they are aware of order of operations.

But every four-function calculator I have ever used is not, so this would be evaluated left to right (i.e., the calculator only keeps a single running total that is updated every time a new operation key is pressed) as:

((((1 * 2) + 3) * 4) + 5) * 6 = 150

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It would be ideal if there were a 4-function RPN calculator, but I doubt that was ever the case.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some of the 4-function calculators have a GT (Grand Total) key which can help with such equations.
Example here.
Of course you still have to parse the equation manually for proper input.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I can't tell if a Grand Total key is allowed or not. The rules aren't clear on that point, but I can ask for clarification. I'm guessing that they have never given it specific thought; if that's the case, my guess is that they won't object to it.

They are allowed to have basic memory capabilities, so if it has an M+ key, that can serve a similar purpose.