Look what you get for less than $5 these days...

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Amazing and thanks for sharing.

When I see stuff like this I sometimes remember when my good buddy Al burst into the lab, wide-eyed and waving a tube of DRAMs. 'Look at THIS! 64K in only eight f$%(QW#*'n chips!' I miss Al.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Amazing and thanks for sharing.

When I see stuff like this I sometimes remember when my good buddy Al burst into the lab, wide-eyed and waving a tube of DRAMs. 'Look at THIS! 64K in only eight f$%(QW#*'n chips!' I miss Al.
I used to write code for factory masked MCUs. The cost-of-entry was 10's of thousands of dollars -- and if you messed up you had to eat the chips.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I used to write code for factory masked MCUs. The cost-of-entry was 10's of thousands of dollars -- and if you messed up you had to eat the chips.
Never wrote for masked parts. By the time I left the bio lab we had EPROMs *whew*. I do remember an early 70's scientific calculator manufacturer that had screwed up their mask programming, something like cos(0) got an error. Rather than scrap the chips they went ahead advertised the calculator at a big discount saying something like 'We goofed but if you remember what cos(0) is, you can have an otherwise full featured scientific calculator for cheap!'

I'm old.