Logisim ICs

Next State

Joined May 28, 2015
I am brand new to circuits & was hoping someone could answer these two very simple questions regarding Logisim.

In Logisim; is A0 the LSB or the MSB for the above IC? Also, tell me Y5 refers to A2 A1' A0 & Y2 refers to A2' A1 A0'.

Also, is C the MSB or A the MSB in the following Logisim IC? Again, tell me D5 refers to C B' A and D4 refers to C B' A'.

I'm second guessing because I've built a large counter which displays a sequence on a Hex display... and I'm only getting errors at the MUX / DEMUX points. It's also 2 AM.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
1. Yes, A0 is the address LSB.
2. Yes, your two conditions are correct.
3. C is the address MSB.
4. Yes, your two conditions are correct.

ak

Next State

Joined May 28, 2015
1. Yes, A0 is the address LSB.
2. Yes, your two conditions are correct.
3. C is the address MSB.
4. Yes, your two conditions are correct.

ak
Thanks a lot. Also, when using the 74151; I just connect power to the minterms I want to come out of Y (in OR form) and connect ground to the minterms I don't want expressed as part of Y, correct?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I just connect power to the minterms I want to come out of Y (in OR form) and connect ground to the minterms I don't want expressed as part of Y, correct?
Respectfully, one cannot 'connect' a physical entity (CIP power) to a (mathematical) 'abstraction' (CIP minterms):confused: --- Please attempt to rephrase your question sans 'mixing of modes':)

With constructive intent
HP

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Thanks a lot. Also, when using the 74151; I just connect power to the minterms I want to come out of Y (in OR form) and connect ground to the minterms I don't want expressed as part of Y, correct?
Correct. For an OR gate, power (Vcc, Vss+5, +3.3, whatever) is a logic 1, and ground is a logic 0.

ak

Next State

Joined May 28, 2015
Respectfully, one cannot 'connect' a physical entity (CIP power) to a (mathematical) 'abstraction' (CIP minterms):confused: --- Please attempt to rephrase your question sans 'mixing of modes':)

With constructive intent
HP
The output of this MUX is expressed as "Y" (you could define it with basically any variable). I can select which minterms are generated in that output (in OR form) by placing power / "1" to the inputs associated with those minterms / pins. Power is generally synonymous with "1"...

Actually, you can definitely map algebraic forms to inputs & outputs of these ICs.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The output of this MUX is expressed as "Y" (you could define it with basically any variable). I can select which minterms are generated in that output (in OR form) by placing power / "1" to the inputs associated with those minterms / pins. Power is generally synonymous with "1"...

Actually, you can definitely map algebraic forms to inputs & outputs of these ICs.
Please understand, my post was not critical! My intent was merely to 'extol the virtues' of (appropriate, moderate) dichotomization of 'the concrete' (Cip 'hardware') and 'the abstract' (i.e. Mathematical models [CIP Boolean algebra/Karnaugh maps, etc...])

Trust me! -- As one whose initial approach to engineering was from the 'pure math perspective' I both understand and sympathize with "the temptation"!:rolleyes::)

Sincerely, best regards
HP