Login difficulties circumnavigatable only via 'fancy tricks'...

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Aleph(0) -- Re AAC login difficulties...

Please rest assured that it's not personal...

I've just made several attempts (local RTC first set to my hub locale's correct CDT then ± 2 hours each 'side' thereof (with appropriate attention to the date [i.e. 1'st vs 2'nd]) -- with no luck! --- It seems the browser (FF) may be a 'factor' inasmuch as I was able to login only after 'spoofing' an x86 Pale Moon VM session (but still with issuance of my Genuine ISP and my hardware's genuine Machine Access Code) --- Following which 'bare naked' Firefox sessions were allowed login but not file uploads... Only the VM session (through which this message is being composed/transmitted) is allowed full functionality at this time... --- Again! Inasmuch as we are experiencing the self-same difficulty --and-- Spoofing of neither my ISP nor MAC are required for full functionality - no cause for entertainment of 'ideas of persecution' exists!:cool:

For the morbidly curious -- Here's the error screen 'in full living colour'..:mad::(

View attachment 185218

Best regards and well wishes for better luck than I...
HP
This has been a sporadic problem for well over two years --- Why?:confused:
HP I say that's good question cuz it definitely makes impression that Admins don't know and just don't care vry much abt fora anymore:(! But being totally sincere I have open mind on subject cuz in past my cynical attitude has like _served me up way too much crow_ to go on automatically thinking the worst of ppl w/o way stronger justification:oops:

So anyhow getting to point of thread I think triggering of _form expired_ bug has more to do with 64 bit OS than browser! Now _timestamp_ is involved too cuz it's always possible to reproduce problem by using inconstant timestamp, but like u say adjusting time doesn't always fix problem! So anyhow @AGNfuel (or whatever his UN is on here) had _expired form_ bug preventing logon so often he finally just said f_it! and gave up:( but it only started happening AFTER upgrading to 64 bit version of Win7 (no problems with x86 versions of Win7 and from my experience even XP!) also he's using up to date Chrome (which I know Chrome and really EVERYTHING insisting on using _web extensions_ totally sucks! But it wasn't problem b4 upgrade to 64 bit version of OS)!

HP Now I'm getting lots of _flack_ cuz Theo V. and a LOT of other ppl can't login (cuz of _form expired_ bug) using any browser running on Win 10 (which doesn't surprise me at all since more and more of Win 10 is in _the cloud_ (by which I mean on Microsoft's servers) and also literately the most poorly conceived OS I've EVER seen:mad:!)

Other problem of not being able to upload attachments is totally f'ing weird cuz when it happens to me I can usually get it to work on one device but not another identical device running exact same OS and browser through same ISP:confused:

So anyhow somebody PLEASE look in to this! I know I haven't been on much (totally my fault) but I plan to return later this fall and anyhow now it's happening to other ppl (like HP) who aren't even using VPNs:confused:

So thanks and sorry if I'm sounding too impatient:oops:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hello,

I do not have access to the technical part of the site.
@jrap is the technical administrator.
I will drop him an email with a link to this thread.

Bertus
Thank you, @bertus! Your concern and assistance is greatly appreciated!:)

Since only the two of you complain
While we (i.e. @Aleph(0) @theodoravain and now myself) may be the sole on-site 'plaintiffs', as it were -- I assure you that it's a pervasive and long-standing problem with many -- that said, it seems a 'quirk' of human nature that experience of 'sporadic' difficulties, once passed, tends to be quickly 'forgotten' - until 'next time' ('out of sight - out of mind' and all that...) -- Still... two or more "hours' worth" of failed login attempts a few times per year gets old - fast!o_O:rolleyes:... Then too, it tends to discourage new registrants (whom appear to be disproportionately effected by said 'bug')...

Don't understand the whole reason for signing out in the first place.
This has been previously explained -- So... Eternal optimist that I am, I'll have another go;) For security reasons it is advisable to configure browsers such that all 'cookies' and LSOs are purged upon closure. Inasmuch as said 'cookies' and/or local shared objects are the means by which sites 'remember' visitor status (including logged vs guest status) purging of said resources effectively 'logs one out' each closure of the browser (Please note also that leaving inactive browsers 'open' is similarly inadvisable from a security standpoint...)

To be clear -- We fully trust AAC!:) -- Howbeit the browsers' so-called 'exception lists'- not so much!:rolleyes:

doesn't it make sense that it is something you're doing?
EDIT by HP: Umm yeah...:oops: Please see the following post:oops:o_O

I too felt that VPN usage may be a factor - prior to experience of the difficulty by @Agnfuel, myself, and others whom, like Agn and I, do not connect via VPNs nor 'anonymizing' proxies...

Many sincere thanks for your post/interest!:cool:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Update:

It seems the new Avira package surreptitiously installs/launches a nasty little process rejoicing under the moniker 'CefSharp' - which, among other chicanery, secretly 'anonymizes' one's connection (Spec: launches 'Phantom' in the background)!:mad:

Please note that the most significant octet of my genuine public IP = 64 (decimal) as it should (read: damn well better) again! -- I only just realized (via a routine review of my Wi hub's logs) that my public IP's MSO had equaled 108 (decimal) for several days (likely since installation of said 'bloatware' loaded version of Avira)...

All of which is by way of saying - the login difficulty described above --in my case at least-- almost certainly began with --and very likely owed to-- my unwitting connection via 'proxy/VPN ware' secretly installed and launched by 'Avira Pro':mad: --- Should such be the case with AgnFuel, members of the Bio8 Lab staff, etc - the difficulty is likely down to remote time-stamp issues as originally assumed... (i.e. not AAC's fault! -- Rejection/'trapping' of apparently 'expired' or otherwise suspect 'forms' is an essential security feature!)

doesn't it make sense that it is something you're doing?
Buy that man a Miller Newcastle!:):D -- while I assist @Aleph(0) 'cleaning' that trencher of 'crow' she's always on about:oops:

Very best regards
HP:)

PS -- Re: Upload difficulties - In my experience such is 'par for the course' with VPNs/Proxies -- No new news there...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thank you, @bertus! Your concern and assistance is greatly appreciated!:)

While we (i.e. @Aleph(0) @theodoravain and now myself) may be the sole on-site 'plaintiffs', as it were -- I assure you that it's a pervasive and long-standing problem with many -- that said, it seems a 'quirk' of human nature that experience of 'sporadic' difficulties, once passed, tends to be quickly 'forgotten' - until 'next time' ('out of sight - out of mind' and all that...) -- Still... two or more "hours' worth" of failed login attempts a few times per year gets old - fast!o_O:rolleyes:... Then too, it tends to discourage new registrants (whom appear to be disproportionately effected by said 'bug')...

This has been previously explained -- So... Eternal optimist that I am, I'll have another go;) For security reasons it is advisable to configure browsers such that all 'cookies' and LSOs are purged upon closure. Inasmuch as said 'cookies' and/or local shared objects are the means by which sites 'remember' visitor status (including logged vs guest status) purging of said resources effectively 'logs one out' each closure of the browser (Please note also that leaving inactive browsers 'open' is similarly inadvisable from a security standpoint...)

To be clear -- We fully trust AAC!:) -- Howbeit the browsers' so-called 'exception lists'- not so much!:rolleyes:

Guess I should be happy that I'm neither famous or paranoid. :)

EDIT by HP: Umm yeah...:oops: Please see the following post:oops:o_O

I too felt that VPN usage may be a factor - prior to experience of the difficulty by @Agnfuel, myself, and others whom, like Agn and I, do not connect via VPNs nor 'anonymizing' proxies...

Many sincere thanks for your post/interest!:cool:

Best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I only just realized (via a routine review of my Wi hub's logs) that my public IP's MSO had equaled 108 (decimal) for several days (likely since installation of said 'bloatware' loaded version of Avira)...
HP that's Avira Phantom's Phoenix IP which is their only free server! I know cuz it's one I'm using ever since ZenMate got too greedy:mad:! (Which isn't abt the fee at all! It's just that I totally refuse to use PayPal (which is a whole other rant) and NO WAY am I sharing my CC or bank acct numbers with iffy foreign sites!) Anyhow Phantom _auto connect_ prolly only happens on 64-Bit MS OS cuz I had to manually connect on XP and x86 Windows 7. So I'm using Windows Ultimate 64-Bit now but I set it to _auto connect at startup_ when I was configuring new installation of _Avira Prime_ so IDK if _connect on startup_ is the default setting but from what's going on it seems like it must be:confused:

the login difficulty described above --in my case at least-- almost certainly began with --and very likely owed to-- my unwitting connection via 'proxy/VPN ware' secretly installed and launched by 'Avira Pro':mad: --- Should such be the case with AgnFuel, members of the Bio8 Lab staff, etc - the difficulty is likely down to remote time-stamp issues as originally assumed... (i.e. not AAC's fault! -- Rejection/'trapping' of apparently 'expired' or otherwise suspect 'forms' is an essential security feature!)
HP I've emailed everyone saying they had problem to see if Avira Prime is like _common denominator_ so if it is all I can say is @bertus and @jrap sorry for my part of false alarm:oops:! And @shortbus I owe you a Newcastle too:oops::)!

Anywho I have to find decent VPN! Phantom sucks cuz its server's IPs are documented on every _anonymizer_ list in exsistance and gratis version only allows 200Mb per day and a total of 500Mb per month:eek::confused::mad:! So I don't mind a VPN insisting that I turn off ad blocker to _pay my way_ but I say any other payment method defeats purpose of VPN!

HP I just have to say it's hilarious thinking on you visiting your stuffy trade sites with documented _anonymized_ IP and your real public IP visible cuz of running Flash and active WebRTC! Making it look like u were cyber-security wannabe not knowing what u were doing:p:D!

BTW @shortbus, you quoted HP's post but didn't comment on it? So was that accident or were you just rubbing her face in her know it all reply?:D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This problem will require a system admin to fix. Moderators don't have the permissions.

I use Firefox and automatic login on several computers, lappie and desktop, and have never experienced any problems. Sorry I can not be of more assistance.

AAC is one of the few sites I have the password memorized, as I really really don't want to be locked out. emails may come and go, but I am on AAC as long as I live.

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
This problem will require a system admin to fix. Moderators don't have the permissions.

I use Firefox and automatic login on several computers, lappie and desktop, and have never experienced any problems. Sorry I can not be of more assistance.

AAC is one of the few sites I have the password memorized, as I really really don't want to be locked out. emails may come and go, but I am on AAC as long as I live.
Thanks @Wendy! -- As it turns out it's likely not an AAC problem after all:) -- but, rather, upshot of 'meddling' by the latest release of Avira:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP:)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A virus scanner can give strange problems.
A couple of years ago, I tried to install ESET NOD32 on my linux box.
When installed, no browser would work.
I uninstalled ESET NOD32 and all was fine.
Now I have a new version of ESET NOD32 installed and I have no problems anymore.

Bertus