Load (weighing) sensors accuracy classes. A lack in price difference.

HB_

Joined Jan 11, 2020
Hello everyone,
Having purchasing weighing sensors (accuracy class C3) I was surprised that their price was equal to same sensors with class D1.
Well, it might be internal distribution company affairs, I had thought then.
However, my colleague told me that last year they have been purchasing weighing sensors from different company and he had noticed as well that there was a lack of difference in price between D1 and C3 classes.
So, my question is why weighing sensors with different accuracy classes usually have the same price?

thank you for advance!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The classes for weighing sensors fall under OIML R 60- Parts 1 Metrological Regulation for Load Cells Part 1: Metrological and Technical Requirements. This is where the classes are best defined. When choosing a load cell or similar weighing system I choose based on needed accuracy (uncerntity), repeatability and other parameters. Load cell manufacturing has come a long way in technological advance in the past 20 years. The actual load cells can be made faster, lower cost and improved accuracy. Cost will always revert back to manufacturer. Sometimes it only looks on the surface you are getting more for less when the reality is you aren't. Claims that a product is manufactured to and marketed under a specification often prove untrue. On the other hand with increased demand and improved assembly methods many sensors have come down in price. Again, you choose the best possible sensor considering form, fit and function and buy.

Ron.

HB_

Joined Jan 11, 2020
The classes for weighing sensors fall under OIML R 60- Parts 1 Metrological Regulation for Load Cells Part 1: Metrological and Technical Requirements. This is where the classes are best defined. When choosing a load cell or similar weighing system I choose based on needed accuracy (uncerntity), repeatability and other parameters. Load cell manufacturing has come a long way in technological advance in the past 20 years. The actual load cells can be made faster, lower cost and improved accuracy. Cost will always revert back to manufacturer. Sometimes it only looks on the surface you are getting more for less when the reality is you aren't. Claims that a product is manufactured to and marketed under a specification often prove untrue. On the other hand with increased demand and improved assembly methods many sensors have come down in price. Again, you choose the best possible sensor considering form, fit and function and buy.

Ron.
So, you mean that for the manufacturer there is not a difference in costs of manufacturing for at least neighboring classes such as D1 and C3? Does manufacturer simple perform some kind of selection directly from the heap of still not classified sensors? Or?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So, you mean that for the manufacturer there is not a difference in costs of manufacturing for at least neighboring classes such as D1 and C3? Does manufacturer simple perform some kind of selection directly from the heap of still not classified sensors? Or?
I am saying it is easier and less costly to manufacture a sensor today than a decade or two ago. Today it's a global market place. With labor cost lower in some locations I can have a part made abroad and import that part. This is not just true of load cells but a wide range of systems and sub systems.

Ron

HB_

Joined Jan 11, 2020
This is common phrases...
I'm expecting more concrete information, in particular on load cells. What's really going on.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'm expecting more concrete information, in particular on load cells. What's really going on.
You want more concrete information? Then provide more concrete information. You do not choose a load cell based on class. You look at your application and decide the best choice based on your needs. You have not defined any specific needs? What I provided was a link to load cell metrology requirements.

Now if you are asking why you can buy a better grade (by specification) load cell for less cost I explained it depends on where it is manufactured and what manufacturing techniques are used to manufacture it. You ask a question with common phrases you get an answer with common phrases. You ask a question with well defined specifics then you get an answer with well defined specifics. That's how it works.

Ron

HB_

Joined Jan 11, 2020
I think this kind of question is not for everyone. To get some plausible information it needs to look for channels of communication either with distributor or manufacturer itself. That's how it works.

HB_

Joined Jan 11, 2020
there's no necessity to ask whole range of respective manufacturers.
If there's a reason for equivalent price, that reason is sole for each manufacturer, due to identical standards at everything (electrotechnics, dimensions, classes, and even in methods of manufacturing).