LM324 as instrumentation amplifier

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
Hello all
I am working on a project and i have been advised to use LM324 IC to develop the instrumentation amplifier. I have calculated the gain with simple op-amp.
But my question is that how to find the gain for instrumentation amplifier? as i have Vin1=0.5Vand Vin2=0.51V and change in output voltage is 1.5V. so how to calculate all the resistances,including the Rgain?
Instrumentation amplifier is shown in the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instru...dia/File:Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg

your help is really appreciated.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The equation for Vout vs the differential input voltage as a function of all the resistors is shown in the Wiki. Are you incapable of transposing an equation?

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
The equation for Vout vs the differential input voltage as a function of all the resistors is shown in the Wiki. Are you incapable of transposing an equation?
If i was capable of doing that, i wont even have ask on this forum.
I only have differential input voltage, the output voltage...i can calculate gain by assuming the resistors values but i need some practical number for this practical project. So if you can at least guide me in the direction would be enough.

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
Since this is obviously homework, we don't just do the problem for you.

What gain should the amp have to satisfy the requirements?
Gain that i am considering is 500 and this is not a homework its more than that. i am really stuck with it. i dont know what i am missing. i have looked into alot of data sheets and alot of internet surfing i have done.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Differential input is 0.5V-0.51V = -0.01V

Output voltage is 1.5V

Gain = 1.5V/-0.01V = -1500

Where did you get a gain of 500?

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
Differential input is 0.5V-0.51V = -0.01V

Output voltage is 1.5V

Gain = 1.5V/-0.01V = -1500

Where did you get a gain of 500?
Revision:
V1=0.0490V, V2=0.051V, Vid=0.0028V, Vo=1.5V so i get gain about 536.
now how do i select the resistors? specially the Rg (gain resistor)?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
As you are trying to design a IA, why not study some IA data sheets and see how a commercial IA is designed.?
eg: AD620 or AD623 etc...

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I know that..;)
BUT you are asking for guidance on the resistor values, which could be the same as the values used in commercial IA's.
Why not try the the AD623 resistor values.?
Its important that the resistors you use are at least 0.1% tolerance in order to minimise common mode voltage problems.
E

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
Thanks everybody for the help.
I have tried some resistors combinations and now implementation phase starts. Lets see what would the results say.
Thanks again