Live from South Florida

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...BTW I brew my own.
Max.
I suppose I could also grow my own tobacco and roll my own cigars.

And, while I am at it, raise livestock, milk cows.

Make my own car, and construct my own house.

Or, I could just do what I do well and use the proceeds to enjoy the fruits of other's labor.

I like my idea better.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I suppose I could also grow my own tobacco and roll my own cigars.

And, while I am at it, raise livestock, milk cows.

Make my own car, and construct my own house.

Or, I could just do what I do well and use the proceeds to enjoy the fruits of other's labor.

I like my idea better.
Nothing wrong with that... but I for once get some pleasure out of doing some things myself... maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm not yet rich...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Nothing wrong with that... but I for once get some pleasure out of doing some things myself... maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm not yet rich...
What's your point? I was replying to a very snobbish non sequitur: "Your beer sucks. Therefore, I make my own."

Doing something for pleasure, whether it be making beer or building log cabins, is fine -- admirable even. But Max suggested an air of superiority simply because I drink sucky beer and he doesn't, and that his beer doesn't suck because it is home made.

I am sure if I put my mind to it, I could produce nearly any product better than that which is commercially available. In fact, that is what I do in my business within the rhelm of my expertise. At some point, regardless of how enjoyable it may be, it would start impinging upon other aspects of my life (sorry, boss...can't come to work today...Bessy's not chewing her cud right...). This is where division of labor and specialization in a capitalist system make the world a better place for all of us.

Besides, I'd like to see him carry his home made beer into a bar and enjoy it with strangers over a cigar (home grown and rolled, of course).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What's your point? I was replying to a very snobbish non sequitur: "Your beer sucks. Therefore, I make my own."

Doing something for pleasure, whether it be making beer or building log cabins, is fine -- admirable even. But Max suggested an air of superiority simply because I drink sucky beer and he doesn't, and that his beer doesn't suck because it is home made.
That was certainly not my intention, I like Guinness having used to drinking it in the UK where it tasted quite different, I have found that after trying it here in N.A. both canned and draught, where they use artificial means to produce the famous creamy head they do it at the sake of carbonation, I have yet to taste one here that did not appear flat.
I just happened to express the fact that I enjoy making my own beer, it was not meant to indicate some kind of 'Superiority'.:(
A typical example where the intention of a post is completely misconstrued.!
Max.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
That glass of beer is empty and the stogie has gone out.

A sad picture of fail indeed.
Man, I try to share some extracurricular activities with you guys, and all I get is crap for it.

The title of this thread was "Live...". In other words, it was state of a very small part of the universe at the time I captured the image.

The beer was the first of many...

The cigar was well lit. A good cigar burns slow and does not produce much smoke when you are not drawing on it.

Cigar smoking is a social activity -- something to be enjoyed with others in the midst of conversation. Sometimes, the cigar goes out (a cigar will not burn continuously on its own). When that happens, you shake off the ash, re-light, sit back, and enjoy.

Ya'll need to chill a bit.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think you're getting a bit sensitive this week, joey. Try to imagine that other people forgot to click on: :D

or, as another local denizen says, attribute first to ignorance rather than malice.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
That was certainly not my intention, I like Guinness having used to drinking it in the UK where it tasted quite different, I have found that after trying it here in N.A. both canned and draught, where they use artificial means to produce the famous creamy head they do it at the sake of carbonation, I have yet to taste one here that did not appear flat.
I just happened to express the fact that I enjoy making my own beer, it was not meant to indicate some kind of 'Superiority'.:(
A typical example where the intention of a post is completely misconstrued.!
Max.
Sorry, then, for the misinterpretation.

I like Guinness. It is my favorite and I've been drinking it since college -- about 100 years or so ago.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding the the factory dictates the technical aspects of the beer delivery. I know that compressed nitrogen is used (as opposed to CO2). This gives the "falling bubble" effect after the pour, and the light creamy head on top. I love the head on Guinness. Compare it to the meekness of, say, Budweiser.

Regardless, every pint of Guinness I've ever had that was poured correctly has always been the same. When poured incorrectly, I send it back. Guinness is something you drink for the experience, not just drink to drink. Of course, this is all IMHO.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I think you're getting a bit sensitive this week, joey. Try to imagine that other people forgot to click on: :D

or, as another local denizen says, attribute first to ignorance rather than malice.
You are right, of course.

I kinda expected some replies that were more on the order of:

Cool! And this is what I am doing tonight: [post picture here]...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't think Max has a snobbish bone in his body. I understand his disappointment with beer that doesn't live up to the standards of the original brew recipe and process. Personally, I enjoy many different commercial labels, but consider brewing because I'm interested in the process, and I would like to package the product differently.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sorry, then, for the misinterpretation.

Apology accepted ;)
Incidentally I have made a Guinness type beer with the similar creamy head but well carbonated, I once made a batch and gave my brother, who also drank Guinness in the UK, a blind taste test with mine and the local Guinness.
After he said yours is good, but not quite like the real thing, he had chosen mine!!.**
Max.

**(This post is in no way meant to indicate any superiority of any kind)