Live fast, die young

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hey, if it's gonna happen, it has already happened. Should I get more aluminum foil or lead foil? Will it make the least bit of difference?

Just tell your kids you love them as much as possible.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to start watching out for betelgeuse now. Why did they name it betelgeuse?
Here's one I like. Similar subject but more about the elements created from the supernova's rather then the supernova's themselves. Its a little slow at first but gets good.

betelgeuse...... Oops...

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to start watching out for betelgeuse now. Why did they name it betelgeuse?
Here's one I like. Similar subject but more about the elements created from the supernova's rather then the supernova's themselves. Its a little slow at first but gets good.
Cool. Most modern theories of heavy element (like gold) formation contribute most of their creation to neutron star (the corpse of a dead star) collisions and mergers.

The finding was an important step in figuring out the origin of heavy, neutron-rich elements in the universe – and the ones we find on Earth. Supernovas were once thought to create such elements, but the process wasn't efficient enough, said Marcelle Soares-Santos, an assistant professor of physics at Brandeis University in Massachusetts. The proportion of heavy elements in Earth seemed too large to be accounted for by the amounts generated by supernovas, she said.
https://www.livescience.com/60701-ligo-neutron-stars-heavy-metals-gold.html

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm wondering if the x-rays and gamma radiation (extremely very short wave light) would have damaging biological effects here on earth.

Although the super nova itself is hundreds of light years away from the earth, the light could be dangerous if the intensity (watts per square meter) is great enough. There is speculation that the pending super nova would be brighter than the full moon which seems like a significant intensity. If there is a hazard, how could we protect ourselves from the damaging radiation?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-betelgeuse-supernova_b_6583546

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-...he-nearby-star-betelgeuse-becomes-a-supernova
Betelgeuse is about 500 light-years away, not near enough to cause serious damage. We might see a little bit of damage to the ozone layer, or some small increase of radiation on the ground on Earth, but these would be too small to matter.

Based on the latest work with my collaborators, a massive star would need to be within about 150 light-years to cause measurable damage. We think that may have happened about 2.6 million years ago, and possibly contributed to an extinction event at the end of the Pliocene era that took out marine megafauna. (See the November 27, 2018, issue of the journal Astrobiology, and “Could a supernova explain an ancient mass extinction?” on page 11 of Astronomy’s April 2019 issue.) A supernova within about 25 light-years would probably cause a major mass extinction, which has likely happened one or more times in the past 500 million years.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I seen a couple episodes the other day, I thought WOW when I learned how fast our Galaxy was moving, I had no idea. Then they suggested that if collisions with other Galaxy’s are possible we wonder into each other and merge and become a completely new Galaxy far different than what we have now. Not to mention collisions with wondering dwarf planets.

kv

Last edited: