little help with eeprom

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi All , first time poster---please be kind.
I have just built a wave table cct and believe that the hardware side of things is OK (famous last words)
Originally the kit was sent without a flashed chip , they then sent me one----still doesn't work.
How do I go about proving/testing to see if the eeprom has actually got a program inside.
The eeprom is a atmega 328p , I have no source code and would hate to destroy the contents.
I'm Ok with the hardware , but I'm digitally challenged.
Regards

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I have no idea what a "wave table cct" is, but you might be able to read the chip memory using a reader/programmer device.

Some chips do not allow reading once programmed.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Atmel ATmega328 is called a microcontroller unit (MCU) not an EEPROM.
Yes, it does contain 1KBytes EEPROM. It also has 32KBytes Flash memory and 2KBytes SRAM.
One never considers it as an EEPROM alone.
It is a processor which is much more than a memory storage device.

In order to obtain more assistance you will have to provide the circuit schematic of your kit and the purpose or function of the kit.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi , thanks for your replies---the cct is for a digital wave table audio oscillator , called "tabula rasa"
Yes it is a MCU , not an EEprom---sorry.
I hoped not to need a programmer($100+) to establish whether its flashed or not , i believe the program is "open source" so it should be readable.
There may be other issues that i've missed---thats why i'm here.
I have a multimeter and oscilliscope , have checked board voltages +/- 12v , +5v and +3.3v---all ok , no smoke.
Pins 9/10 show 16mhz @ 30 mv.
Attached is schematic http://www.pucktronix.com/media/pucktronix/tabulaRasa_V11_SCHEM.png
Regards

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi , thanks for your replies---the cct is for a digital wave table audio oscillator , called "tabula rasa"
Yes it is a MCU , not an EEprom---sorry.
I hoped not to need a programmer($100+) to establish whether its flashed or not , i believe the program is "open source" so it should be readable.
There may be other issues that i've missed---thats why i'm here.
I have a multimeter and oscilliscope , have checked board voltages +/- 12v , +5v and +3.3v---all ok , no smoke.
Pins 9/10 show 16mhz @ 30 mv.
Attached is schematic http://www.pucktronix.com/media/pucktronix/tabulaRasa_V11_SCHEM.png
Regards
You need an atmel chip with the arduino boot loader installed. Then you need to plug that chip into an arduino board that has the USB connection and let's you program it with the puck tropic code on github.com.

See links t software on the puck tropic website.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi GT , thanks for the reply , will get UNO and dip my toes into digital world.
I'm an old fart from the analog world and keen to learn what primary school kids already know.
Tell me , what does a Gopher taste like , never had one for T :)
Regards