Lithium ion battery - detached wire

doubtb

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Hello

Tried to search the forums, but i dont think i saw anything related to my question. Appologies if it has. I had to replace a battery on a laptop and i noticed that one wire was disconnected from the battery back. Is this an issue? Not knowing much about batteries and i'm wondering if this is a fire hazard. I've attached a picture in question. Thank you in advance for your responses.bttry.jpg

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Its not a fire hazard in itself, the battery isn't going to blow up or do anything stupid, however there are three red wires for a reason - to supply sufficient current to the laptop. There's usually a good margin for error in these things but I'd certainly make sure there's no possibility of the broken end shorting on anything first and then check after using it for a while that the other red wires aren't getting too hot.

Was this a replacement battery or what? How did it get damaged?

doubtb

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Its not a fire hazard in itself, the battery isn't going to blow up or do anything stupid, however there are three red wires for a reason - to supply sufficient current to the laptop. There's usually a good margin for error in these things but I'd certainly make sure there's no possibility of the broken end shorting on anything first and then check after using it for a while that the other red wires aren't getting too hot.

Was this a replacement battery or what? How did it get damaged?
Thank you for the response. The original Toshiba battery died and this was the replacement battery. As soon as i took it out of the package, i noticed the detached wire. The new battery works, but the detached wire was my concern.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like there are 3 Black wires too, so I would confirm that the extra wires are for better current draw, the other colours are for cell monitoring during charging.