Lithium ion alternative to D type battery

spagettilegs

Joined Sep 11, 2019
I have a machine that uses 6x D type battery’s which lasts a few hours of constant use. From what I can see online each battery is a 1.5v producing 20,000 mah.
I’m exploring the idea of using a lithium ion battery as an alternative to get a greater duration.
Would anyone know if this is a viable alternative and what specs should I be looking for in a lithium ion battery if it is a more practical option?

many thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Geeez. $20.00 ea. 13,400 mAh and NOT RECHARGEABLE
Sounds like a bargain there. So six of them will set you back at least a fun night in Vegas.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I’m thinking about one big battery I can recharge as opposed to 6 x regular d type batteries?
Yeah - that makes a bit more sense. I didn't think it was an alternative. Don't you currently have a 6-piece battery holder? Is that going to be replaced as well?
As long as we are spit-balling here, how about a 12V rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery and a compact DC-DC Converter to get you back to 9 volts.
I've spent a good deal of time running my Ham Radio gear off a deep cycle marine battery and get 9-10 hours of operation with a 100 watt transmitter.

spagettilegs

Joined Sep 11, 2019
Yeah - that makes a bit more sense. I didn't think it was an alternative. Don't you currently have a 6-piece battery holder? Is that going to be replaced as well?
As long as we are spit-balling here, how about a 12V rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery and a compact DC-DC Converter to get you back to 9 volts.
Im happy to try anything. I’m happy to try A 12v lead acid with a converter if I get better performance. ie. longer performance.
im not concerned about the battery holder at this stage. I’d be happy to house everything in a separate container.

Any ideas about a Lipo alternative?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Do they still make D size batteries? I still see C size in stores but don't recall having seen any D's in the store. Maybe I'm not looking close enough.

And PPB: Where did you get $20.00 each? I didn't read that anywhere in the post. Did I miss something again?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
An old Name-Brand D size alkaline cell was 8000mAh. Some new ones have a little C cell inside for 5000mAh. Super Heavy Duty ones from ebay are 1000mAh if you are lucky. Who says 20,000mAh, ebay or when they are lightly loaded by a smoke detector??

A Li-PO battery is destroyed if you let its voltage drop below about 2.5V - 3V per cell (2 cells produce 8.4V max, 3 cells produce 12.6V max) and might explode if charging is attempted. They and their chargers are sold in local hobby stores. They are expensive.

Walmart.com has sellers (like ebay) where two Energizer D alkaline cells cost the same as twelve of them and with free delivery.
They do not say how old they are.